Amtrak Lead Technical Trainer - 90159269 - Wilmington in Wilmington, Delaware
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Lead Technical Trainer, under guidance of the Senior Manager Operating practices, assists with the coordination of hiring plans and operating rules and practices training schedules and programs in partnership with Human Resources, outside agencies, and internal partners such as the System General Road Foreman or System General Trainmaster, as well as Division Transportation leadership. The position executes the training programs to ensure employees receive proper rules and physical characteristics training for operation over Amtrak Divisions or contract carrier properties. Utilizing acquired knowledge and skills, the Lead Technical Trainer helps ensure that the instructional curriculum is designed and updated to meet all mandated standards. This position is required to successfully plan and execute all instructional sessions in order to provide each operating employee with a full understanding and knowledge to comply with company, federal and state rules and regulations governing railroad operations. The Lead Technical Trainer implements the standardized instructional programs associated with operating practices in order to prepare operations employees to perform their duties in a safe manner adhering to all company and regulatory requirements. Operating employees include those in a new hire status and/or a recurring training status. Lead Technical Trainer participates in a proactive role to aid in the prevention of train accidents, employee and passenger injuries, avoiding FRA citations and fines. The Lead Technical Trainer provides input into the development of operating craft employee instructional programs and provides guidance and technical advice to all interested parties including operating craft employees in either the operating Divisions or a centralized facility in Wilmington, DE.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
• Supports the operating divisions by executing initial and recurrent instruction and examination of employees in the Transportation, Engineering and Mechanical Departments. Provides guidance and interpretation of all regulatory rules. Organizes and schedules classes and coordinates and communicates with Division management to ensure mandatory participation is achieved.
• Responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of operating rules programs, policies and procedures. Collaborates with senior officials throughout the system in all operating departments as well as State and Federal regulators.
• Plans and executes extensive audits. Assists in the investigation of train accidents and incidents to determine the root cause. Analyzes major operating rule violations and formulates modified directives to prevent future violations.
• May establish communications network that will expedite movements during operational crises. May develop operating rules qualification programs. Provide guidance and technical advice.
• The Lead Technical Trainer provides subject matter expertise and interprets operating rules and practices and special instructions to ensure clear understanding and consistent application of the instructions, including governmental regulations impacting train operations.
• The Lead Technical Trainer organizes and schedules classes, procures materials, and coordinates and communicates with Divisions to ensure mandatory participation is achieved while balancing the needs of the Division.
• The position is part of a team that responds on site to assist in train accident investigations to determine causal factors to adequately respond to regulatory agency inquiries, and assists in collecting and interpreting relevant data, such as locomotive event recorder data, rules in effect and employee service and discipline records. Participates in the analysis of safety/operational activities (root cause analysis).
• Administrative responsibilities are those associated with the audit, instruction, and evaluation of employees including all logistical issues and challenges. In addition, the Lead Technical Trainer is responsible for all incidental and mandatory regulatory record keeping.
WORK EXPERIENCE :
• Demonstrated knowledge of Amtrak’s equipment and Train Handling Rules and Instructions, Operating Rules, Safety Rules and CFR Part 239,240 and 242 regulations.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver a comprehensive operating rules training and testing program with proven results.
• Demonstrated drive, ambition, and leadership ability.
• Ability to travel 20-50% of the time.
• Superior effectiveness in communication skills, including writing, speaking, and presentation/platform skills.
• Effective organizational, administrative, and personal computing skills as demonstrated through past experience.
• Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE :
• Demonstrated leadership experience.
• Preferred management experience of Train & Engine service employees.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS :
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : No
Requisition ID: 24844
Posting Location(s): Delaware
Personnel Area: DE04
Job Family/Function: Transportation
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 50%
Employment Experience Requirements: 3 - 5 years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Transportation || No Additional