Amtrak Director Compensation - 90206684 - Washington in Washington, District Of Columbia
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Director, Compensation drives business results and provides leadership and vision around strategic program development that will enable the attraction, development, and retention of key talent. This position manages the design and development, implementation, and administration of Amtrak’s compensation programs and includes the understanding and communicating Amtrak’s compensation philosophy. The Director, Compensation also has responsibility to lead the execution of the compensation strategy. This position requires a thorough understanding of how compensation is .a key component of Amtrak’s Total Rewards Strategy which will require design, education and implementation of base compensation, long and short term incentive programs and supporting Amtrak’s Talent Management Strategy.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
• Provide leadership and direction in developing the company’s overall compensation strategy and philosophy.
• Lead compensation initiatives, conduct research, establish strategies, and serve as the key compensation resource for the company.
• Assist in the development of the a variable pay strategy that incents and rewards short-term and long-term performance.
• Provide technical compensation expertise company-wide, including development of base and incentive based pay; management of the annual merit compensation process, position analysis and provide technical expertise and guidance regarding compensation.
• Provide subject matter expertise and guidance to managers and HR business partners regarding compensation strategy, administration, policies/procedures, and communications.
• Work with senior management on a variety of projects, including program design; analysis; and implementation of new programs.
• Conduct and oversee salary planning, salary survey activity and design of salary structures.
• Manage a team of two with responsibility for the job evaluation process, market analysis, and compensation modeling to identify market trends to ensure competitiveness, and expense control in the design of pay structures. Oversee all salary administration, including providing wage and job analysis and supporting documentation necessary to support effective recruitment and retention processes, and to assure proper grading of jobs and internal equity among positions.
• Develop corporate-wide communications to Directors and below that support the organization’s strategic initiatives as related to compensation plans; work with business unit Human Resources Leaders as necessary.
• Ensure all pay programs are in compliance with all Federal, State, and local compensation laws and regulations, and with established guidelines, processes, and procedures. This may include programs such as incentive compensation, annual merit review cycle, geographic differential, spot bonus, etc.
• Lead the collection, analysis, and preparation of wage and salary data necessary to support effective decision making related to the deployment of compensation and management strategies.
• Partners with the HRIS team to ensure that appropriate measurements are identified and data gathered for use by the compensation department. Ensures that timely and meaningful analysis occurs and results reported to management for use in making decisions related to the compensation programs and performance of the company.
• Oversee and coordinate annual market competitive assessments for areas to ensure that compensation remains competitive to attract, retain and motivate associates.
• Contract with external consultants as applicable.
• Analyze and develop recommendations on compensation projects.
• Supervise and provide leadership to, and review work of, at least two compensation staff.
• Assist with other department projects as assigned to ensure competitive and cost effective plan designs, administrative process, communications, and compliance consideration.
WORK EXPERIENCE :
• Extensive professional level related experience driving compensation plans and strategies. Experience working at a leadership level.
• Experience with executive compensation programs.
• Progressive experience in designing and implementing compensation plans in a corporate environment.
• The ability to interact well with senior executives of the company, yet able to be hands-on and not afraid to do the groundwork and to manage effectively down as well as up.
• Excellent communication skills and functional expertise to handle all non-executive compensation issues.
• Management experience.
• Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation
• Skills and knowledge necessary to develop creative recognition and reward programs in support of the philosophy and mission and organization’s overall business plans and strategies.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including strong listening and influencing skills. Ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels within the organization.
• Ability to adapt to audiences as appropriate.
• Good project management skills.
• Results oriented; flexible; organized and disciplined.
• Ability to manage conflicts in a timely and effective manner.
• Self-motivated, take charge and driven attitude; demonstrated “can do” attitude.
• Experience in compensation consulting, communication strategy, vendor negotiation, compensation plan design, and knowledge of current compensation trends.
• Ability to lead a high performing team and effectively work with senior leadership.
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel (including expertise with spreadsheets), and Access. Expertise with PeopleSoft or similar HRIS application.
•A positive, roll-up the sleeves, can-do attitude.
• Self-initiative and self-confidence.
• Passion and energy.
•The a bility to see the big picture and embrace responsibility.
• A candidate who embraces a high performance culture.
PREFERRED EDUCATION :
Master’s degree preferred
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS :
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Yes
Requisition ID: 24341
Posting Location(s): District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Personnel Area: DC06
Job Family/Function: Human Capital
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements: 10 plus years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Human Capital || Corporate