Amtrak Director Application Development - 90173844 - Sandy Springs in Washington, District Of Columbia
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Director, Application Development manages multiple IT process within one functional area. The position manages services provided to internal and external customers. May focus on a specific industry of moderate to high complexity. This position works closely with all areas and levels in Amtrak business and IT units to coordinate solution delivery and ensure smooth transition into production. The role will mange the Corporate Systems group which supports HR, Finance, Legal and Procurement functions among others within Amtrak. The key platforms which will be under the purview of this leader includes SAP ERP, Ariba and Concur.
The Director Application Development will lead highly-technical full-time staff members, contractor employees, and contracted services. The successful candidate must have extensive experience and knowledge of the system development life cycle, and large-scale, highly available, and complex/real-time IT systems environments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
• Works with business partners to understand business needs.
• Leads and participates in a customer advisory board to manage IT services demand. Duties include communicating client needs and priorities and providing feedback on pricing and investment.
• Provides input to business technology planning within their functional area. Implements solutions consistent with the architecture.
• Directs and leads development groups, and/or application support functions, and implementation of IT initiatives in support of customers and business strategy
• Oversees and provides input to several phases of the system development and implementation life cycle, including analysis, design, development, testing, and ongoing support for application systems in an environment of diverse development platforms, computing environments, software, hardware, technology, and tools
• Provides high-quality services at optimal cost to customers. Measures service performance and implements improvements as needed.
• Manages the improvement processes that impact customer satisfaction and relationships. Owns the designated processes and is accountable for ensuring that establishes processes are followed.
• Participates in the development of IT budgets. Tracks and takes appropriate steps to stay within budget.
• Directs the development and implementation of technologies that makes it easier for customers and suppliers to do business with increased profitability.
• Participates and provides input to the SLA development process. Ensure internal SLA's are met.
• Provides advice and counsel to the vendor relationship decision-making and contract development processes.
• Reviews service provider performance. Identifies and confirms performance problems and notifies contract managers.
• Meets regularly with team to gather work statuses. Discuss work progress and obstacles. Provides advice, guidance, encouragement and constructive feedback. Ensures work, information ideas, and technology flow freely among the section.
• Establishes measureable individual and team objectives that are aligned with business and organizational goals. Documents and presents performance assessments. Recognizes and rewards associates commensurate with performance. Implements organizational practices for staffing, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), diversity, performance management, development, reward and recognition, and retention.
• Identifies the roles, skills and knowledge required. Ensure staff has the resources and skills needed to support all work initiatives. Participates in IT workforce deployment activities.
• Generates appropriate communication, process and educational plans for mitigating the disruption of change. Identifies and removes obstacles to change.
WORK EXPERIENCE :
• Extensive technical and business managerial experience with demonstrated managing and directing systems development or systems maintenance project teams
• In-depth knowledge of the system development life cycle, functions and systems, and application program development alternatives.
• Expereince with development and delivery utilizing SAP ERP and Ariba is required.
• Experience in managing audit and compliance requirements across the company is required.
• May require knowledge of one processes/services. Business experience should include assignments in multiple business and technical processes.
• Technical and/or ITIL, or equivalent Certifications
• Requires experience in managing large teams and building relationships with people at a variety of levels.
• Requires demonstrated ability to launch and deliver one or more IT project(s) on time and within budget.
• Demonstrated skill in overseeing the development of technology architecture, technology evaluation and transfer.
• Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, work well with others in an integrated team environment, and must be self-motivated
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE :
Experience working in large complex companies that heavily rely on real time 24x7 IT operations to successfully service external customers.
PREFERRED EDUCATION :
Master's degree in related technical/business areas or equivalent.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS :
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Yes
Requisition ID: 24903
Posting Location(s): District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Personnel Area: DC04
Job Family/Function: Information Technology
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 50%
Employment Experience Requirements: 10 plus years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology