Serco Desktop Publisher/Compositor NC52150428 in Washington, District Of Columbia
Desktop Publisher/Compositor NC52150428Washington, DC, US
Job Description Responsible for developing and providing content for external/internal portals or websites. Provides input to creating and modifing new and existing template solutions. Responsible for coordinating the display of graphics and the production of documents/projects. Gathers feedback for improvement and enhancements.
May be responsible for writing a variety of technical articles, reports, brochures, and/or manuals for documentation for a wide range of uses.
Required Skills Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent in a related area and 2-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Works under general supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Work is generally performed in a normal office environment where there is minimal exposure to unpleasant and/or hazardous working conditions.
Job assignments may require working at client site where working conditions may vary. Travel may be required.
Must be an advanced user of most recent version of FrameMaker
5-years of experience in composition and design and layout of text and graphics including experience in composing documents using Adobe FrameMaker.
- Use knowledge of publishing design skills to compose documents and apply the correct type fonts and styles consistent with corporate brand identity requirements and standards.
- Consult with technical communications staff on requirements for particular projects and on jobs that are in production.
- Convert text, graphics, and tables from word processing, database, and other low-end software into high-end publishing software.
- Create design formats and page layouts for all documents produced by Brand and Policy for distribution in print; or on Postal Explorer, the Internet, Intranet, LANs, and CD-ROM.
- Compose documents that range in size from a small 3#4 page brochure to a large 1,000 (or more) page manual. This includes manipulating and integrating graphics from a variety of sources including electronic scanning, electronic files, and hard copy.
- Create “intelligent” documents such as the IMM, ELM, and ASM that automate book features (e.g., chapters, indexes, appendixes, page numbering, section numbering, headers, footers, and hierarchy of text, index maintenance, and links) for online use.
- Use Adobe software to prepare documents for viewing on the Internet and intranet.
- Use scanning software and hardware to capture images and data for use within documents.
- Use document management software for locating, accessing, tracking, storing, and ensuring version control of all documents worked on PC workstations.
- Use design functionality and specialized capabilities such as auto referencing, index tokens, filtering, and tables to generate camera copy for printing and PDF files.
- Tag HTML Code and format documents for compliance with Section 508 of the Workforce Investment Act.
- Create graphic images such as flow charts and tables.
- Prepare documents for online viewing using Adobe software to create bookmarks and internal links within the PDF file.
- Have extensive knowledge of file formats; page layout; filtering text; and developing Adobe Frame Maker, MS Word, and other template software.
Employment Type Full time
Career Level Mid Career
Job ID 52150428
Company Serco Inc. (Serco) is the Americas division of Serco Group, plc, one of the world’s leading and most admired service companies. Serco serves Federal, state and local governments, along with the Canadian government and commercial customers. We help our clients deliver vital services more efficiently, while increasing the satisfaction of their end customers. Headquartered in Reston, VA, Serco has approximately 10,000 employees with an annual revenue of $1 billion and is part of a $6 billion global business that helps transform government and public services around the world. Serco recognizes that our employees are our most valuable asset. Our successes directly relate to our employees. At Serco, we listen, respect and support our employees and through continuous training, development and information-sharing, we advance talent internally, enhancing career growth and progression which enables not only our employees to excel but enables our customers to excel as well. Our employees personally can make a difference. It is not just a job at Serco; at Serco, we offer career opportunities. We invite you to become part of our dynamic team. Serco's people share a passion for delivering ethical service, innovation, and a commitment to results. Our focus on Bringing Service to Life is more than a tagline, it’s the way we get things done, the way we talk with each other, and the way we interact and respect each other. We succeed by encouraging and generating new ideas. We trust our people to deliver. We are passionate about building innovative and successful Serco businesses. Our most powerful tool in improving performance is to instill a stimulating culture where people feel they can personally make a difference. Serco is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce (Race/ Color/ Sex/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/ Religion/ National Origin/ Disability/ Vets).
Functional Area Learning & Human Capital Management
Department The Citizen Services business unit provides support in three major areas: business process services, where we perform the actual function that the process is relate to; business process related software, that helps us manage the various components, the systems associated with the software in the process; and business process management, where we help design and track the performance of the specific business process. The business units work supports primarily the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Commerce, the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Bureau, the US Postal Service, the General Services Administration, and other Federal Government agencies. We support our clients with a work force of over 5,000 Serco and Serco subcontractor employees and provide mission critical support services.