The Washington Post Benefits Specialist in Washington, District Of Columbia
The Washington Post is creating a new role to revitalize our leave and workers compensation programs and practices. In this role, you will recommend and guide the implementation of new and/or improved processes,enhance employee and managers experience with Post’s occupational and non-occupational disability programs, andcollaborate with internal departments such as Legal Counsel, Payroll, Finance/Risk Management, employees, managers, and third-party administrators to ensure the disability programs are administered accurately, expediently, and in the best interest of the company and the employees.
- You are a mid-career professional with deep expertise in the field of occupational and non-occupational disability management.
- You have no problem wearing multiple hats: (1) subject matter expert, (2) business partner & consultant, and (3) the point of contact for all time off, leave and Workers Compensation related initiatives.
- You have proven success identifying problems and coming up with relevant and feasible solutions. You are comfortable with change and enjoy reengineering processes to increase speed, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- You have an exceptionally organized and analytical mind and can explain complex concepts to non-technical audiences.
- You enjoy doing the work yourself versus delegating to others. You like the details and have a knack for catching errors even while moving quickly and under deadline pressure.
- You have outstanding time management and organizational skills, allowing you to excel at working independently.
- You have proven success building relationships with employees, managers and executives throughout the organization. You possess sound judgment to know when to involve key stakeholders and how to present information to them.
- You have experience with and are comfortable advising and presenting to senior management.
- You are cost-conscious, and actively look for opportunities to reduce expenses while maintaining the usability, accuracy, and compliance of disability programs.
Worker’s Compensation Administration
- In collaboration with Finance/Risk Management, develop, implement, and administer Workers’ Compensation policies and procedures for The Washington Post and other LLCs.
- Ensure timely reporting of claims to Workers’ Compensation vendors by serving as the primary point of contact for all Workers’ Compensation claims and liaising with supervisors, employees, and other internal stakeholders.
- Administer all aspects of Workers’ Compensation claims, including coordination of return-to-work for employees receiving Workers Compensation benefits.
- Ensure accurate administration of the company's disability and time off programs by interpreting leave policies, coordinating with Workers' Compensation and ADA where applicable, and liaising with employees, managers, vendors and internal stakeholders.
- Drive successful resolution of leave cases by monitoring claims, holding third party administrator accountable according to contractual agreements, facilitating employee transition from short-term to long-term disability, or coordinating return-to-work activities.
- Ensure proper pay for employees on leave by providing advice to pay to Payroll.
- Monitor benefit premiums payment for employees on leave and coordinate premium collection activities with the third party administrator.
- Develop and streamline processes for efficiency while ensuring positive employee and manager experience, consistency and compliance.
- Educate employees and managers about time off and disability programs by creating and maintaining documentation and communication materials, conducting employee meetings/seminars, and contributing to other initiatives to educate employees about TWP benefit programs.
- Generate reporting metrics and analytics for all time off and disability programs.
- Keep internal stakeholders aware of complex cases by producing reports, providing status updates, and seeking advice as necessary.
- Maintain configuration of leave and time off programs in the HRIS system (Workday).
- Stay abreast of State and Federal leave requirements and ensure company compliance with the provisions of FMLA, ADA, ADAAA. Employee Retirement Income Act (ERISA), COBRA, HIPAA, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Department of Labor (DOL). Responsible for remaining current in the area of state statutory Workers’ Compensation laws and OSHA reporting requirements.
- Performs reconciliation of vendor invoices and ensures proper payment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Finance, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited college/university.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in Workers’ Compensation claims management, leave of absence administration and ADA administration.
- Ability to analyze data and statistics, compile accurate reports, and draw reasonable conclusions.
- Excellent written skills, including ability to develop accurate business and legal correspondence, investigation reports, HR documentation, and ability to design and develop HR documents, forms, and templates, and communication materials.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills, including ability to establish credibility and trust with management/leadership, handle difficult situations with diplomacy and professionalism, and create and deliver presentations to senior management.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize work to meet assigned deadlines.
- Experience with Workday and Workday leave configuration is preferred.
- CDMS (Certified Disability Management Specialist) or CCM (Certified Case Manager) preferred.
First Year Goals
- Become a SME and go-to person for all time off, leave, and WC questions.
- Develop clear WC policies and procedures by involving Finance/Risk Management, Production, and other LLCs. Post the policies on GuidePost and facilitate manager training in collaboration with Finance/Risk Management.
- Work with senior management and Prudential on streamlining employee and manager STD and LTD experience (employee and manager communications, process workflow, holding Prudential accountable to the contractual agreement, etc.).
- Improve employee and manager experience with leave and WC programs by proactively monitoring cases, timely notifying appropriate stakeholders, and educating employees and managers on
- Contribute to the team goal of “managing transitions” by documenting leave processes, developing step-by-step instructions to employees and managers.
Develop and deliver employee seminar (“brown bag” meeting) on time off, leave, and WC programs.
Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time