Cymer, Inc. Staff Software Design Engineer / Architect in San Diego, California
Staff Software Design Engineer / Architect
0005175 Requisition #
ENVISON YOUR FUTURE AT CYMER!
Cymer, an ASML Company, is the leader in developing lights sources used by chipmakers worldwide to pattern advanced semiconductor chips. We're at the forefront of technology innovation because of the extraordinary efforts and ingenuity of our employees. Cymer, is the world's leading provider of lithography systems for the semiconductor industry. Through innovation, Cymer is an integral part of today’s technology landscape and is leading the light Generation.
One Company, One Goal, Limitless Innovation. It's our people that make the difference.
Seeking Staff Software Desgn Engineer/Architect with passion for architecting software for a distributed control system. Join Cymer/ASML and you will be joining a team that operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions. Our customers demand continuous power and throughput improvements which translates to a development culture of rapid product upgrades and aggressive commercialization metholdogies for EUV technology.
You will work closely with Controls system engineers and architects to formulate software requirements in response to the system and controls requirements. You will get to design software subsystems and its response within the system architecture. Reusability, modularity, simplicity and maintainability are key dimensions to balance. The role requires coaching junior engineers and provide technical leadership as you analyze complex issues, determine the best test methodologies and contribute in all aspects of the software development and release lifecycle.
Your influence span will cover Software and Controls team in San Diego and their functional counterparts in Veldhoven, Netherlands. Your critical and innovative thinking will be required to meet resource and budget objectives while working with our partners near-site, off-site as well as offshore.
Control system software overview:
The control loops involve data exchange at speeds up to 100 kHz while data collection for diagnostics purposes is done at up to 1Khz rate. There is interaction between control loops running on quad core boards and platform software that runs on IBM bladecenter. Data is stored on board in postgres databases and is shipped via the fab network to data servers in San Diego. Our graphical user interface developed using Qt serves a complex set of users - operators, engineers, scientists and customers. And we don't forget safety, the control system has a Siemens PLC to ensure both human safety is ensured and machine damage is prevented.
Come and join our journey and you will be challenged and rewarded as you work alongside a group of talented, passionate and fun-loving engineers. You can tell your friends – I work on semiconductor lithography machines that allow the printing of finer features for the next generation of chips that power the innovations in the world - in short, the future of electronics !
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design software response to system and controls requirements. Author software architecture, design and Test Specification Documents.
- Conforms to the approved Software Development Process and the Program Development Process, and is an active champion of process improvement.
- Technical ownership of issues that impact design success, and guide the future concepts, products and technologies.
- Work in hard and soft real time domain with complex hardware interfaces and various communication protocols (TCP/IP, Ethercat, Profinet)
- Utilizes knowledge to design software for large complex multi-processor systems.
- Articulates (verbal and written) the design decisions and implementations made to management at Cymer /ASML, its development partners and the customer.
- Participates in the screening and selection of software development team members and in the mentoring of new software development team members.
- Mentors junior and external (contractor) software development team members
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires Minimum of BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other related Eng/Science fields. MS or Ph.D in relevant field is a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years in technical development role with strong leadership demonstration
- 7+ years of working C++ experience required
- Proven ability to guide a team in coding efforts for a distributed control system. The coding will require programming in different languages (C++, Python) on different OS environments (VxWorks, CentOS).
- Delivered 3+ mid to large scale software projects with demonstrable quality
- Hands on experience with refactoring for performance and scalability – complex multi-processor distributed control system is a plus.
- Curious and current on emerging software methodologies
- Strong C++ knowledge, Object Oriented Design principles and embedded development
- Ability to handle aggressive deadlines with agility and results driven approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Ability to quickly develop and understand complex control systems including embedded real-time, application layers, CORBA interface and it’s associated hardware environment.
- Ability to independently determine technical solutions including test documentation.
- Technical expert of data management, TCP/IP and other similar communication protocols.
- Applies advanced knowledge of design methodologies.
- Demonstrates sophisticated knowledge in utilizing design engineering tools, systems analysis and design, and database management.
- Project leadership skills.
- Ability to follow a Software Development Process that includes elements of planning, estimation, gathering and analyzing requirements, developing concepts and designs, implementation, developing and executing test plans’ and engaging in work product reviews.
- Ability to interact effectively with other team members as well as individuals in other disciplines and organizations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Some travel required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to be on call and work hours as required to solve problems that arise with internal and external customers. External customers could be outside the US.
- The environment requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) and/or working in a manufacturing clean room environment from time to time.
Cymer offers competitive salaries and benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(K), and FSAs.
Cymer is committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and the business. EOE