Cymer, Inc. Staff Mechatronics Engineer in San Diego, California
Staff Mechatronics Engineer
0005288 Requisition #
LPP EUV is generated by firing high energy laser pulses at tin droplet targets at repetition rates beyond 100 kHz. The quality, velocity, and precise positioning of the droplets are key factors in the efficiency and stability of the process, which in turn determines the achievable power and dose of the EUV source. Mechatronics engineers perform a vital function in the generation, detection, and steering of droplets enabling the conversion to plasma radiation using high-energy laser pulses. They provide analytic assistance to other engineering groups, such as modal analysis of new mechanisms or communications protocol design for new electrical hardware. They investigate and resolve design issues that impact the performance of systems in the field or design issues related to the manufacturing process. The successful candidate will have both technical depth in characterizing the impact of mechanical dynamics on the performance of complex control algorithms and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot of root cause higher level system issues.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Dynamic system specification using analytical and empirical methods to describe system performance and determine budget decomposition
- Robotic system design using analytical and simulation means to select proper actuator and sensors per performance requirements.
- System trouble shooting using real time control systems, with ability to isolate and debug mechanical, hardware and embedded software problems
- Design and analysis of components using Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) tools and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) methods.
- Modal analysis using position, velocity, and acceleration transducers and data acquisition systems
- Modeling and design compensation for resonance modes, time delay, drive-train friction losses, mechanical hysteresis and back-lash, and non-co-located sensors and actuators
- Operation of typical engineering software for data acquisition, analysis, and display such as Mathcad, MATLAB, LabView, Origin, or other similar software
- Resolve design issues related to instrument or robot mechanics, electro-mechanical controls, and software found in the field or Manufacturing that require engineering investigation and redesign
- Investigate and determine root cause of both latent and emerging defects in the existing population of deployed systems
- Test design, planning, preparing, executing, data reduction and analysis, customer interfacing, and documenting experimental work.
- Work in cross-functional teams to ensure all issues related to a design change are understood in advance of implementation
- Generate and document rigorous experimental methodology, including formal design verification testing
Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and experience interacting with all levels of personnel and customers.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team of engineers and technicians in accomplishing project tasks
- Ability to carry a product design from conception into production
- Detail oriented, willing to travel, able to work in multi-cultural environment
- Versatile skill set and willing to perform hands on work in a lab environment
- Self-motivated with excellent technical written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience
- Advanced degree in mechanical or controls engineering >8 years’ experience
- Automation and controls qualification and troubleshooting experience on robotic/mechatronic systems
- Dynamics modeling proficiency (modal analysis and stability assessment) with CAE software platforms (UGNX, ANSYS, etc.)
- Experience using Matlab, Python, C, and other programming tools for data processing
- Detail-oriented problem solver with initiative and responsibility to follow through
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) on a frequent basis.
- Requires working in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally.
- Requires working with Excimer lasers in noisy environments (requiring ear protection) and potential radiation hazards (requiring eye and skin protection).