Cymer, Inc. Staff Database Engineer in San Diego, California
Staff Database Engineer
0005303 Requisition #
Comprehend and lead new SW projects in the data management and data connectivity areas. Key Responsibilities include database development and include database query planning and optimization, performance optimization, and feature development. Comprehension of meta data handling, and interactions of data products technology components, such as software, hardware, and networking capabilities, for database management systems and applications is requiredThe role will include all aspects of the product development lifecycle – planning, requirements, design, code, test and maintenance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Candidate must be passionate about data and databaseengine internals - indexing, access methods, locking, logging, caching, replication, backup/restore, buffer management.
- Works with complex hardware interfaces in a real-time environment
- Authors Architecture, Requirements, Design Documents, and test validation plans.
- Conforms to the approved Software Development Process and the Program Development Process, and is an active champion of process improvement.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Participates in the screening and selection of junior and external (contractor) software development team members.
- Mentors junior and external (contractor) software development team members.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Design and development of software modules of moderate complexity that will be used to store and query data for data product user applications.
- Experience and working knowledge in client and server-side network database management and multithreading in multiprocessor environments. Solid fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms for such environments.
- Organize design and code reviews of one’s own projects and participate in peer project reviews. Participate in review of QA test plans for one’s own projects.
- Development and use of proactive database monitoring, trend analyses and direction of appropriate remediation
- Experience with developing ad-hoc scripts, including clean-up scripts, when needed
- Experience to troubleshoot and tune SQL queries and stored procedures to derive optimal system performance
- Develop and understand of and effective hands-on use of company’s internal functional test labs, scalability and performance framework, test automation framework, and other development tools (source code control, bug database, etc.)
- Ability to interact effectively with other team members as well as individuals in other disciplines and organizations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Specialist in advanced technical or business skills. Individuals with a customer focus have developed the acumen to cultivate and develop lasting customer relations. May have Minimum of ten (10) years of experience is required
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering with >6 years’ experience.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline plus four (3) years of experience (desired) in developing database projects using Microsoft SQL Server, PostgrSQL or other applicable database technology.
- Desired 3+ years of IT operations with strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- T-SQL, SSIS, Stored Procedure development experience strongly desired
- No-SQL experience a plus
- 2 to 3 years of database administration experience, including tuning, database management, security, and data architecture
- Query processing (including query compilation, optimization and execution, distributed queries).
- Identify and correct performance bottlenecks related to SQL code, Hardware or Design
- Lead in development of methods for the ongoing assessment of database performance
- Proactively identify and act on opportunities to improve database systems and processes
- Support and is accountable for timely releases and adherence to release activities
- Work with vendors in evaluating and implementing new technologies
- Participate in release of all stored procedure projects, including release documentation
- Develop Database maintenance plans and data retention strategy
- Low level performance and tuning.
- Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating.
- Extensive experience in software engineering processes, including Software configuration management and the ability to read and create project documentation of the highest quality.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to be on call and work hours as required to solve problems that arise with internal and external customers. External customers could be outside the US.
- The environment requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) and/or working in a manufacturing clean room environment from time to time.