Cymer, Inc. Sr. Systems Engineer in San Diego, California
Sr. Systems Engineer
0005279 Requisition #
ENVISION YOUR FUTURE AT CYMER!
Cymer is the leader in developing light sources used by chipmakers worldwide to pattern advanced semiconductor chips. Cymer is at the forefront of technology innovation because of the extraordinary efforts and ingenuity of our employees.
One Company, One Goal, Limitless Innovation. It's our people that make the difference.
The Laser Systems Engineer is the technical owner of the architecture of Cymer laser products: responsible for assessing, developing, developing, validating and reviewing the system-level architecture to enable first-time customer functionality. As well, the Systems Engineer is the system-level technical-arbitrator of cross-functional product development. This role includes development and ownership of significant technology development and productization efforts.
As part of the Systems Engineering (SE) Team, the Seniors Systems Engineer will be involved in all aspects of a "cross functional" product development process, including:
- Technology development/advancement.
- Technology assessments and trade studies.
- System design reviews and system integration.
- Verification & validation.
- Requirements development and management.
- Product-specific documentation.
- Structured system analysis.
- Risk analysis.
The focus of this work is Cymer's Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) Light Source business area.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assumes engineering responsibility for design from concept through manufacturing transfer and ramp.
- Performs measurements and simulations to develop and propose concepts for improved optics-module designs.
- Performs detailed optical design, optical component layout, and ray tracing for new or improved optical subsystems. Performs optical-tolerance analysis at system and subsystem level. Performs risk analysis and design failure-mode/error analysis.
- Works with Mechanical Engineers and CAD Designers for detailed prototype and pilot designs, as well as to update component/assembly drawings.
- Validates concepts through breadboard builds, analysis, and verification testing. This includes test-plan development/execution, as well as data analysis & reduction.
- Uses data from validation testing and other sources to drive module redesign.
- Manages a project plan including key deliverables, timeline, and budget.
- Drives full documentation of design including specifications, BOM, drawings, and procedures.
- Manages development activities using the Cymer Product Development Process as part of a cross-functional team. These activities include concept reviews, design reviews, prototype builds, pilot builds, verification testing, etc., with records and completion of all open action items.
- Uses Cymer’s change management process to implement product improvements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Self-motivated, with an ability to work in a fast-moving, high-tech environment.
- Ability to carry a product design from conception into production.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate technical results and report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Project Engineering experience including leading small technical teams.
- Ability to cross functional boundaries to build relationships with all areas in the company, to understand and reconcile higher level company and customer needs.
- Demonstrated ability to perform test and/or validation design.
- Demonstrated ability to acquire and analyze data from a variety of sources, and use this data to drive risk analysis and design changes.
- Extensive experience with MATLAB or the numpy/scipy analysis suites.
- Practical experience with laser systems, either in manufacturing or laboratory environments is highly desirable.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Requires a Master's Degree (Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optics or a related field), Ph.D. is a plus
- Experience with project planning and execution.
- Extensive experimental experience and skills in laboratory environment is required.
- Experience with excimer lasers desired.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Can work under deadlines.
- Occasional travel (via air and car) within and outside the US may be required.
- Requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) on a frequent basis.
- Requires working in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally.
- Requires working with Excimer lasers in noisy environments (requiring ear protection) and potential radiation hazards (requiring eye and skin protection).
Cymer offers competitive salaries and benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(K), and FSAs.
Interested applicants please visit our web page at www.cymer/careers.com
Cymer is committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and the business. EOE.