Cymer, Inc. Sr. System Test Engineer in San Diego, California
Sr. System Test Engineer
0005160 Requisition #
The System Test Engineer is a key team member of the System Test Engineering functional area, assists in validating the system integration sequence and ensuring that modules are integrated into the system baseline after required system qualification and testing. System Test Engineers work with the Integration Project Leads (IPLs), System Test Architects (STAs) and various engineering disciplines to review system level test procedures, help with execution of the tests, provide system level data analysis support and review the system level test reports for software and hardware deliverables. They will support engineering, research and development, and manufacturing in the testing of optical, mechanical and electrical modules and sub-systems and track the contents of the various deliverables (Project Breakdown Structure (PBSs)) and packages (Module Availability Packages (MAPs), Performance Upgrade Packages (PERFs) and Field Change Orders (FCOs)) to ensure contents are qualified before integrated into the system baseline. Each System Test Engineer is also assigned a source system in San Diego and they work closely with the IPL and extended source team to ensure critical integration issues are resolved in a timely manner. They are expected to have a good understanding of the system and will assist in troubleshooting these system issues. They also provide field support through the performance of installations, upgrades, repairs, and maintenance of complex source equipment and systems. They perform a variety of engineering tasks including integration planning, test planning, test execution, analysis, troubleshooting, and implementation during research and/or product development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with defining system level integration sequence, also called high level PERT.
- Support plan and design of system level tests along with the test procedures.
- Help execution of system level tests on a source for module and sub-system validation.
- Work closely with module owners to ensure system level test reports are generated in a timely manner.
- Perform data analysis to support documentation of test reports for validation of system, operations and service.
- Manage scheduling of system test reports per priorities/program needs.
- Participate in review of system test reports with all the stakeholders thoroughly before integration.
- Understand and adhere to Software and Hardware Integration processes.
- Participate in technical readiness and issue/risk identification discussions prior to integration.
- Track the contents of upgrades for PBSs and MAP/PERF packages and FCOs for proper system qualification.
- Act as the System Test Engineer assigned to a source system in San Diego, working closely with the IPL and the extended source team.
- Participate in troubleshooting and resolution of critical integration issues for that source system.
- Produce clear, concise documentation in defined ASML formats.
- Validate design ideas by calculating stack up tolerances, providing analysis of options.
- Troubleshoot and isolate problems in laboratory equipment and on the product.
- Understand usage of sophisticated computer programs and diagnostic equipment to test laser performance.
- May be assigned to a special project, such as system upgrades, working under descriptive instructions.
- Follow guidelines for Lab safe operation.
- Assist in collecting data, analyze it, summarize results, and prepare presentation of results for review.
- Gather information from drawings, specifications and design engineers necessary to help develop tests and documentation.
- Assist in qualifying product for shipment.
- Compile test data to demonstrate the equipment built meets the specified requirements.
- Assist in analyzing, diagnosing, and troubleshooting equipment problems via telephone or at customer site.
- Provide support for installation, repair, retrofits, upgrades and preventive maintenance on equipment installed at customer sites.
- May provide service education to customer’s service and operations staff.
- Travel as required for the purposes of performing systems operations activities at customer sites.
- Complete weekly status reports, expense reports, and other administrative responsibilities in accordance with ASML’s processes and with supervisor’s approval.
- Use company technical documentation and provide feedback for improvement and assist in creating technical documentation.
- Interact with cross-functional groups (engineers and scientists, worldwide customer support personnel, manufacturing personnel, program management office, marketing, external customers). Cross functional boundaries and build constructive and effective relationships throughout the whole organization.
- Interact with customers occasionally to provide information about system maintenance and operation optimization.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Ability to apply algebra, geometry, and statistics skills.
- Understanding of Software and Hardware Integration and Test processes.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to use Data acquisition, processing and analysis software such as Matlab or Labview.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Understanding in reading electrical schematics and using manufacturers’ product cut sheets
- Ability to calculate voltage drops, tolerance stack up, acceptance criteria, fusing, cable and connector requirements.
- Ability to utilize standard test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, signal generators and power meters with no direction.
- Ability to use optical measurement devices such as spectrometers, spectrophotometers, imaging setups, and the etc. on a routine basis.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering specifications, maintenance manuals and engineering sketches.
- Debug of mechanical and electrical subsystems.
- Ability to write notes in a laboratory journal listing daily activities and write weekly report summarizing accomplishments.
- Possess good oral presentation skills and be able to effectively present results in a team meeting.
- Plan activities and execute to schedules established by program.
General proficiency with tools, systems, and procedures required to accomplish the job. May need to consult with higher level staff members on some technical issues.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Physics, Applied Physics, or other Engineering discipline. Minimum 6 years of experience required with a BS degree.
- Preferred MS in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Physics, Applied Physics, or other Engineering discipline. Minimum 4 years of experience required with an MS degree.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in engineering, integration, test, or technical support of large complex systems required.
- Knowledge and experiences in optics, laser-induced plasma, optical metrology, and/or controls of such devices preferred.
- Experiences with vacuum system a plus.
- Experiences in semiconductor equipment development a strong plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- May work in an electronics laboratory or clean room environment in full gown, hood and gloves, where the noise level may be high.
- Must be capable of working in the lab at floor level to 8 feet high with appropriate ladder.