Cymer, Inc. Sr Mechanical Design Engineer in San Diego, California
Sr Mechanical Design Engineer
0005172 Requisition #
ENVISON YOUR FUTURE AT CYMER!
Cymer, an ASML Company, is the leader in developing lights sources used by chipmakers worldwide to pattern advanced semiconductor chips. We're at the forefront of technology innovation because of the extraordinary efforts and ingenuity of our employees. Cymer, is the world's leading provider of lithography systems for the semiconductor industry. Through innovation, Cymer is an integral part of today’s technology landscape and is leading the light Generation.
One Company, One Goal, Limitless Innovation. It's our people that make the difference.
The engineer shall assist with the opto-mechanical design of next-generation optical sub-systems for the creation and control of EUV radiation and supports the development & integration of innovative core technologies elements and/or system concepts into engineering solutions. Requirement is to perform a variety of engineering tasks including designing, developing, testing, analyzing, troubleshooting and implementing subassemblies and modules. Creates and evaluates opto-mechanical designs to meet requirements of specified applications, with input from other groups. Subsequent design activities may include supervision of stress, thermal analysis of mounted optics and tolerance distribution and assignment. Researches and works with supply chain engineering to select future key suppliers for consideration as turn-key providers of sub-systems. Develops resolutions to critical issues and broad design matters and works on issues that impact design/selling success or address future concepts, products, or technologies. May assist in the negotiation of major contracts involving large dollar amounts and monitors the cost, schedule, and performance aspects of key suppliers under contracts. Coordinates purchasing activities with engineering and manufacturing departments to source critical supply requirements and drive new product development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assumes engineering responsibility for component, module or subsystem design from concept design through manufacturing transfer and ramp through manufacturing transfer and ramp.
- Performs detailed design and component layout including, BOM, drawings, and procedures for new or improved subsystems and validates concepts through breadboard builds and analysis.
- Coordinates purchasing activities with manufacturing, planning, and engineering departments to acquire inventory in a cost effective and timely manner.
- Processes purchase requisitions, purchase change orders, and requests for quotes to suppliers.
- Interacts closely with development engineers, scientists, suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues.
- Requirement to report on project progress with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiar with optical alignment methods and tools, hands-on experience an advantage
- Experience with configuration management systems (TeamCentre preferred) and engineering change order procedures.
- Hands-on mechanical systems build and qualification, including assembly procedure development and process improvement background.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience is required. Less experience with advance degree.
- Experience in designing, fabrication, and testing of mechanical, electro-mechanical and/or opto-mechanical modules, and related system interfaces for semiconductor capital equipment tools.
- Previous experience with lasers and laser systems strongly desired.
- Experience with mechanical and/or opto-mechanical designs operating in adverse thermal and/or vibrational environments strongly desired.
- Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job.
- Experience in solid modeling, NX preferred.
- Experience with Product Development tasks desired: bills of material, interfacing with vendors, procurement of material for prototyping, change management.
- Experience with phased new product development processes from concept through full production release.
- Familiar with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ISO preferred).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Travel within and outside the US may be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level. The employee may occasionally work under manufacturing or laboratory environments, where the noise level is usually high.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
Cymer offers competitive salaries and benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(K), and FSAs.
Cymer is committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and the business. EOE