Cymer, Inc. Sr Controls Engineer (Algorithm) in San Diego, California
Sr Controls Engineer (Algorithm)
0005239 Requisition #
The EUV source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. The Controls Department is responsible for the development and engineering of the control loops for the laser system. The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Control Engineers who will be engaged in all phases of the control system development, integration and support involving high speed electronics, real-time embedded software, precision metrology and sophisticated control algorithms, all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable EUV light. The Sr. Controls Engineer;
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a technical expert for the development of advanced control subsystems supporting fast-paced research activities to develop the next generation of EUV sources.
- Applies broad knowledge in sensors, actuators, control algorithms, software, and data analysis tools to develop new control systems and improve existing control system performance.
- Develops and applies system identification, simulation/modeling, and analysis techniques to further understanding of processes within the EUV source leading to novel control system designs.
- Designs and builds hardware and/or software tools that allow debugging, analysis, and performance evaluation of control system performance.
- Participate in control and software requirements, architecture, design, and test reviews.
- Trace hardware and network problems and use basic laboratory test tools such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and pulse generators.
- Define validation test requirements based upon design documents for system and sub-systems.
- Lead and perform integration and test activities, including trouble shooting the software/control system.
- Design and execute test plans to ensure the system functions as designed.
- Interacts with cross-functional groups (engineers and scientists, lab operations personnel, upper management, marketing, external customers).
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Significant experience with experimental design and data analysis is required.
- Knowledge of and experience with MATLAB and/or Python is required.
- Familiarity with modeling and analysis of physical systems is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including technical presentations. Capable of clearly explain technical issues and ideas to peers and management.
- Excellent numerical analysis using MATLAB is desired.
- Experience with basic image processing techniques is desired.
Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job. Minimum of six (6) years of experience is required.
- Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job.
- PhD required, exceptional Bachelors with 6 years relevant experience or Masters with 3 years relevant experience will be considered. Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or related technical field.A specialization in control systems is a plus.
Experience with leading a project (e.g. thesis work) is required, with components including:
- simulation / modeling
- experimental analysis
- Must be willing to learn and be trained on the job in a wide range of subsystems and physical phenomena.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) on a frequent basis.
- Requires working in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally.
- Requires working with Excimer lasers in noisy environments (requiring ear protection) and potential radiation hazards (requiring eye and skin protection).