California State University San Bernardino Supervising Plumber/ Facilities Management in San Bernardino, California
Employment Status: Full-time, Probationary "non-exempt" position.
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday, 7:00 am – 3:30 pm, with the possibility of converting to an alternate work schedule.
First Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning September 6, 2016.
Under general supervision, the Supervising Plumber primarily is responsible for supervising and working with one or more groups or crews of skilled journey-level plumbers and their semi-skilled assistants in the performance of general plumbing maintenance and repair work outlined in the series overview. Incumbents may also be responsible for overseeing the design and installation of plumbing equipment and systems for new construction and/or major modification projects. The Supervising Plumber is distinguished from the Lead Plumber by the scope of supervisory, project planning and coordination duties as well as the greater amount of time devoted to these activities.
Incumbents typically prioritize and coordinate the work of multiple crews or projects; assign work to qualified crew members; provide work and safety instructions; provide on-the-job training and instructions to less skilled workers in trade and safety practices; provide input on performance evaluations; monitor work in progress; inspect completed work to ensure it is in compliance with specifications, special instructions and sound trade practices; develop and maintain manual and/or computerized work record-keeping and/or maintenance management systems; prepare reports; and oversee a plumbing shop.
Work on new construction and remodels requires: collaborating with engineering and design departments; interpreting complicated plans and drawings; coordinating work schedules and work assignments to meet the overall construction/modification objectives; sequencing of work; ensuring the availability of required materials and equipment; analyzing operations; preparing cost and time estimates; and providing a high level of inspection to ensure appropriate building and safety codes are met. Incumbents also may design minor tenant improvements and coordinate and supervise the work of related trades workers on specific projects.
- Work requires thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the plumbing trade;
- Base knowledge of the operation of building automation systems;
- Thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal health and safety orders and regulations pertaining to the plumbing trade, including the California State Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety and the California State Plumbing codes.
- Thorough knowledge of effective supervisory practices and techniques
Working knowledge of job design and work sequencing related to construction projects. *Ability to: *
Must be able to perform skilled plumbing work on all applicable equipment and systems;
- Perform applicable welding work;
- Obtain necessary backflow prevention licenses;
- Make rough sketches of plumbing installations;
- Read and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications;
- Estimate materials and labor cost of standard plumbing maintenance and repair work;
- Maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems;
- Provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants;
- Analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations;
- Prepare standard reports; read and write at the level appropriate to the position;
- Perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position.
- Plan and direct the work of skilled crafts workers and their semi-skilled assistants;
- Determine and coordinate staffing, material and equipment needs for multiple jobs and projects;
- Ensure accuracy and maintenance of assigned record-keeping systems.
- Perform design work for plumbing systems.
Work with a diverse group of people. Experience:
Two or more years of experience as a journey-level plumber including one to two years in a lead/supervisory capacity and one to two years of experience that includes work coordination responsibilities.
CSU Experience is highly desirable. *License/Certification: *
Duties may involve the use of a state vehicle which would necessitate possession of a valid California driver's license and the successful completion of the campus Defensive Driving examination. Supplemental Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 2016-00554
Department: Administration & Finance
Agency: California State University, San Bernardino
Address: 5500 University Parkway San Bernardino, California, 92407.
Phone: (909) 537-5138
Salary: $66,096.00 - $83,760.00 Annually
Location: San Bernardino, CA