California State University San Bernardino Lead Building Service Engineer/Facilities Management in San Bernardino, California
Employment Status: Full-time, Non-exempt, Probationary position.
Work Schedule: This position works a rotating schedule. The immediate need is Monday thru Friday, 7:00 am – 3:30 pm, with the possibility of converting to an alternate work schedule. The schedule may change as operational needs change.
Deadline:This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning September 6, 2016.
Under general supervision of the Supervising Building Service Engineer, the Lead Building Service Engineer shall work with and provide lead work and direction to a crew of Building Service Engineers and a Building Service Engineer Apprentice who are involved in the installation, operation, preventative maintenance and repair of mechanical systems related to heating, ventilating, air conditioning (HVAC), refrigeration, energy management, electronic controls, power, water and sewer systems and equipment as related to HVAC and/or Mechanical systems throughout the campus. The Lead Building Service Engineer is responsible for laying out and coordinating the work flow for jobs, will prepare material lists and order supplies for jobs. The incumbent will be responsible for prioritizing and coordinating work including providing direction for work sequencing and technical expertise and leadership; will ensure necessary materials, supplies and equipment are available to complete assigned work orders and perform preventative maintenance; instruct staff on work and safety rules and ensure they are observed; inspect work to ensure it meets quality requirements and specifications; provide input on performance evaluations; establish and maintain effective working relationships; and maintain computerized maintenance management systems, including accounting for labor, materials and purchasing, as well as preparing various reports. On specific projects, work may involve coordinating with other departments and coordinating the work of other skilled crafts workers.
This position will spend the majority of time working as a Building Service Engineer, or in a related HVAC trade while performing lead work coordination and project planning responsibilities.
- Work requires a thorough mechanical and technical knowledge of high and low pressure boilers, and heating, pneumatic, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration and other mechanical equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, tools and materials used in the operation, maintenance and repair of such equipment.
- General knowledge of ventilation principles, thermal dynamics, and closed water systems.
- Working knowledge of energy management systems including the ability to understand and use system features.
- A thorough knowledge of the applicable state and federal safety codes and regulations pertaining to mechanical and HVAC systems.
A working knowledge of effective supervisory practices and techniques and a working knowledge of project sequencing. Abilities:
Ability to install, operate and repair HVAC equipment and systems; demonstrate a high degree of mechanical skill equivalent to journey-level in one or more related trades such as plumbing, pipe fitting, electrical or air conditioning.
- Make rough sketches.
- Estimate cost, time and materials of mechanical work.
- Read and write at a level appropriate to the position.
- Perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position.
- In addition, must be able to lead, instruct and coordinate the work of a crew of skilled and semi-skilled workers.
- Provide direction on the interpretation and use of blueprints, plans, drawings, and specifications to the work crew.
- Accurately estimate costs, supplies and materials needed for jobs and projects.
- Prepare material lists.
- Ensure work is performed in sequence.
- Inspect and assess work to ensure it meets requirements and specifications.
- Analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations.
- Maintain computerized maintenance management systems and records and prepare complex reports.
Ability to work with a diverse group of people. Education/Experience:
Two years of journey-level experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of boiler, heating, ventilating, refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and systems or the equivalent combination of formal course work in mechanical technology and hands-on experience.
- In addition the abilities of a Lead Building Service Engineer would normally be acquired through two or more years of experience as a journey-level Building Service Engineer that included some work or project coordination responsibilities.
- CSU experience is highly desirable.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information:http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 2016-00574
Department: Administration & Finance
Agency: California State University, San Bernardino
Address: 5500 University Parkway San Bernardino, California, 92407.
Phone: (909) 537-5138
Salary: $62,568.00 - $79,308.00 Annually
Location: San Bernardino, CA