California State University San Bernardino Employee & Labor Relations Manager (Administrator I)/Human Resources (Revised) in San Bernardino, California
Employment Status: Full-time, "exempt" position, included in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP).
*Work Schedule: *Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, occasional evening and weekend hours.
*Salary: *Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
*First Review Deadline: *This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning September 6, 2016.
California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) invites applications for the position of Manager, Employee & Labor Relations. This position is an Administrator I in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) and reports to the Director of Human Resources.
CSUSB is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire, and it has the second highest African American and Hispanic enrollments of all public universities in California. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
Required Application Materials: All applicants must submit 1) Letter of interest or cover letter, 2) Current resume or curriculum vitae, 3) Three professional references who can provide assessments of your professional experience, accomplishments and prospects for success in this position, and 4) Diversity Statement – may include your interpretation of diversity, inclusion, gender equity and must include specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, background/philosophy has prepared you for this role at California State University, San Bernardino (maximum 250 words).
Position Overview: Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the incumbent will perform a wide variety of Human Resources Generalist duties for a designated client group and serve as a subject matter expert in the areas of contract administration; grievance and arbitration issues; complaint investigations; and employee relations concerns including, but not limited to, providing definitive direction, interpretative guidance and support to schools and administrative units on multiple collective bargaining agreements; policy and procedure compliance; and adherence to local, state and federal laws governing employment practices. The incumbent will administer labor contracts, investigate and respond to grievances and perform other related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the CSU Chancellor's Office and the campus Human Resources Office, the incumbent will serve as the primary consultant to managers, employees and others with labor and employee relations concerns.
- Serve as the main point of contact and provide HR Generalist services for a designated division/client group.
- Assist supervisors, employees and others with employment related questions.
- Facilitate services between human resources and the department in conjunction with other human resources managers.
- Perform a wide variety of duties related to contract administration; grievance and arbitration issues; complaint investigations; and employee relations concerns including, but not limited to, providing definitive direction, interpretative guidance and support to colleges and administrative units on multiple collective bargaining agreements; policy and procedure compliance; and adherence to local, state and federal laws governing employment practices.
- May require the supervision and training of staff. Minimum Qualifications
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. *
- Applicants must possess thorough knowledge, technical mastery, skill and judgment in the application of relevant federal, state and local employment and labor laws and regulations.
- Effective conflict resolution, facilitation and consultation skills are required along with a skill in fact-finding, analysis, problem-solving and consulting to identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Applicants must possess excellent written verbal and presentation communication skills, and strong leadership skills.
- Applicants must have the ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in establishing and maintaining good working relationships across the University.
- Applicants must have the ability to be a team player with superior ability to work independently.
Familiarity with the uses of databases, data analysis and modeling as management tools required. *Education & Experience: *
Applicants must possess the equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in a related field along with two years of human resources generalist experience including significant labor management, employee relations and complaint investigation experience in both union and non-union environments.
Experience in conducting complaint investigations is required along with experience working with highly sensitive and confidential information. *Preferred Qualifications: *
Five years of applicable human resources generalist experience including significant labor management, employee relations and complaint investigation experience in both union and non-union environments.
- A Master's or advanced degree in a related field.
- Human resources, employee and/or labor relations experience in a higher education and/or public agency setting. Supplemental Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 2016-00656
Department: Administration & Finance
Agency: California State University, San Bernardino
Address: 5500 University Parkway San Bernardino, California, 92407.
Phone: (909) 537-5138
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: San Bernardino, CA