California State University San Bernardino Chief of Staff and Associate Vice President (Administrator III)/ President's Office in San Bernardino, California
*Employment Status: *Full-time, regular "exempt" position, included in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP).
*Work Schedule: *Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, occasional evening and weekend hours.
*Salary: *Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
*First Review Deadline: *This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning October 17, 2016. (Review Date Extended)
*About the University: *
CSUSB is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire, and it has the second highest African American and Hispanic enrollments of all public universities in California. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so. For more information on the campus, please visit the CSUSB website.
*Position Overview: *
California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) invites applications for the position of Chief of Staff/Associate Vice President. This position is an Administrator III in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) and reports directly to the President. The Chief of Staff directs the work of the Office of the President which coordinates and supports activities of the President, serves as the liaison between the President's Office and California State University Chancellor's Office, General Council and the campus community. The Chief of Staff serves as the point of contact for the various constituent groups served by the university and provides internal coordination and leadership on administrative matters. In collaboration with other members of the President's Cabinet, the Chief of Staff is responsible for planning, organizing and guiding the initiatives of the President as they relate to the internal operations and the external relationships of the University.
Reporting to directly to the President of CSUSB, the Chief of Staff will perform a wide range of executive and high level duties of broad scope and complexity requiring outstanding professional ability, originality, mature judgment and a thorough knowledge of the academic and administrative programs and organizational structure of the campus. Typical activities include, but are not limited to:
- Incumbent will be responsible for helping implement the President's vision and goals for the campus by collaborating with campus leaders and plays an important role in strategic planning, decision making and execution of decisions.
- Incumbent will be responsible for researching and providing appropriate and timely information for the President to facilitate efficient and effective decision-making; overseeing the implementation of campus initiatives; supporting the President in leading an effective senior management team; deciding which items require priority attention of the President and the Vice Presidents' Cabinet; ensuring that issues have been vetted and that information has been adequately developed for the President to make decisions; and establishing priorities for the President's time and attention.
- The incumbent will be responsible for closely managing internal and external communications by ensuring effective information flow to and from the Office of the President via multiple channels (forums, correspondence, speeches, conferences, retreats, etc.).
- The incumbent will collaborate with senior leadership; provides analytical support on a broad range of complex issues, and resolves or makes recommendations for resolution; manages initiatives on behalf of the President; and advises the President and other senior leaders on matters related to policy, programs, and both internal and external relations.
- The individual selected for this position will be required to act on behalf of the President and serve as a liaison with campus leaders, community members, Chancellor's Office and General Council.
- The incumbent will oversee confidential and sensitive issues for the President and drafts public statements on behalf of the President. Six areas report directly to the Chief of Staff/Associate Vice President and include:
- Office of the President
- Title IX and Gender Equity
- Government and Community Relations
- Diversity Office
- Ombuds Office
- Special Events & Guest Services. Minimum Qualifications
- Master's Degree in business, higher education or a related field required, with a minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in higher education, public policy and public relations.
- Ability to work independently and manage confidential information.
- Ability to build trust-based relationships with colleagues.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Should possess strong oral and written communication skills and persuasive leadership style.
- Ability to work productively in complex organizations.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity, equity and multiculturalism. Preferred Qualifications:
Ph.D., J.D. Ed.D. or other terminal degree preferred. Experience as a leader with broad understanding of higher education. Required Application Materials:
All applicants must submit the following application materials:
- Letter of interest or cover letter
- Current resume or curriculum vitae,
- Three (3) references who can provide assessments of your professional experience, accomplishments and prospects for success in this position,
- Diversity Statement – This may include your interpretation of diversity, inclusion, gender equity and must include specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, background/philosophy has prepared you for this role at California State University, San Bernardino (maximum 250 words). Supplemental Information
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 2016-00651
Department: President's Office
Agency: California State University, San Bernardino
Address: 5500 University Parkway San Bernardino, California, 92407.
Phone: (909) 537-5138
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: San Bernardino, CA