California State University San Bernardino Alternative Media Support (ASA I) / Services to Student with Disabilities (SSD) in San Bernardino, California
Employment Status: ** Hourly, Temporary, Non-Exempt Position
Work Schedule:To be Determined
*First Review Deadline: * This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning October 31, 2016.
About the University and Services to Students with Disabilities:
California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually.
The Services to Students with Disabilities (SSD) office is part of the Division of Student Affairs. The mission of the SSD office is to increase retention for students with disabilities by ensuring equitable treatment and equal access to all academic programs and facilities at California State University, San Bernardino. The SSD office acts as a catalyst and agent for compliance with federal and state laws that mandate equal opportunity and access for persons with disabilities.
Current employees will be given preferred consideration.
Under the direction of the Director of Service to Students with Disabilities Office, the incumbent will assist with the conversion of written materials into alternate formats based on established procedures. Typical activities include, but are not limited to:
- Incumbent will edit, format, convert and use Optical Character Recognition software to prepare materials from print to alternate formats for students.
- Incumbent will enter alternate media data into the database.
- Incumbent will conduct research on emerging assistive technologies/technology support and will develop user guides for alternate media software.
- Incumbent will train student assistants with alternate media accommodations on assistive technology and assist student employee(s) with general work related questions
- Incumbent will assist with carrying out testing for students with disabilities based on established procedures (i.e. Proctoring of exams and maintenance of spreadsheet/database).
- Incumbent will assist with carrying out mobility services based on established procedures. This task involves assisting the Alternate Media Assistant and Nighttime/Weekend Coordinator with coordinating mobility cart rides on (wheelchair-accessible) golf carts and by van to transport students to on-campus venues and collaborate with the primary transportation coordinator (the Academic Support Services Coordinator) regarding the transportation schedule.
- Incumbent will provide general office support for the SSD Office. Typical activities include, but are not limited to answering telephone/emails, greeting office guests, assisting students and oversee the office when lead staff is out of the office.
- The tasks outlined above require daily interaction with office staff (i.e. Director, Alternate Media Coordinators, Counselors, etc.)
- Incumbent will complete other duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications
Entry to this position requires fundamental written and oral communication skills, including a sound foundation in English grammar, spelling, and punctuation; an ability to understand standard office procedures; an ability to operate standard office equipment; an ability to learn office technology systems; an ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; and typing and keyboard skills.
These entry qualifications would normally be obtained through completion of a high school program or its equivalent and some experience in an office environment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Job Type: Full-time, Part-Time, Hourly
Job Number: 2016-00687
Department: Student Affairs
Agency: California State University, San Bernardino
Address: 5500 University Parkway San Bernardino, California, 92407.
Phone: (909) 537-5138
Salary: $25,392.00 - $41,220.00 Annually
Location: San Bernardino, CA