Columbia Sportswear Company Manager, Payroll Operations in Portland, Oregon
Manager, Payroll Operations
United States, Oregon, Portland
1000020T Requisition #
Sep 22, 2016 Post Date
General Position Summary:
The Manager of Payroll Operations is involved in everyaspect of payroll from the team, systems, standard operating procedures, and dataintegrity. This includes process improvement decisions, tactical execution,cross-training and providing leadership to the payroll team. The role is a keyposition within our HRIS team.
- Focused on creating, maintaining/improving the payrollstandard operating procedures.
- Review payroll and data entry activities, processes andsystems to maximize efficiency, accuracy and improve performance.
- Provide leadership and guidance for the payroll groupresponsible for bi-weekly, multi-state, multi-company payroll processing forall domestic employees. Ensures payrollgroup members are trained and job duties are performed accurately and within establishedtimeframes. Provide coaching andconducts annual performance review.
- Provide backup processing to the payroll team and researchcomplex payroll issues.
- Keep up to date on legislation and regulation changes thataffect the payroll process. Maintain knowledge base and resource informationfor multi-state payroll processing.
- Ensure proper and timely payments of payroll tax deposits,health and welfare premiums, 401(k) contributions and other recurring or uniquepayroll related processes; researches and resolves discrepancies.
- Ensure appropriate tax treatment for all payrolltransactions and employee earnings. This includes the tracking and processingof expatriate employees.
- Manage the year-end process timeline and deliverables:ensures correct reporting of all employee data onto W-2s and timelydistribution of W-2s.
- Manage third-party payroll services relationship with ADPand Kronos. Push the limits of third-party software through innovative designand delivery.
- Provide end user training along with backup support when thepayroll group members are unavailable.
- Approve off-cycle checks. Manage and ensure proper payrollreports are generated each pay period, month and quarter.
- Acts as liaison between accounting and HR for payroll relatedissues and reports.
- Write and maintain reports or queries to support requestsfrom Columbia Management, Accounting or HR Management.
- Develop standard accounting reports for ongoing reportingneeds. Analyze data for various functions in HR and provide recommendations toHR Management based on findings. Creates specifications and test plans asneeded. This includes specifications for all reports created for end users.
- Manage and create HR/Payroll processes and audits to insuredata integrity.
- Lead roll on projects as assigned by the Director Global HROperations; assist with other HRIS projects.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree specializing in HR, Business or relatedfield, OR equivalent work experience in human resources/payroll within abusiness environment.
- 5-8 payroll management experience.
- 7-10 years experience with a multi-state payrollfunction.
- 3-5 years HR experience.
- Strong understanding of HR/Payroll systems including;database design, structure, processes and data integrity concepts.
- Ability to use complex query and report writing tools.
- Experience with payroll/financial reporting
- Expert user skills with payroll systems, preferably ADPPayforce and Kronos.
- CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) highly preferred
- Experience strongly preferred in expatriate administration,stock/equity administration, and systems implementation.
- Experience preferred in PeopleSoft.