Amtrak Senior Manager Engineering - 90206921 - Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Senior Manager Engineering position is responsible for determining project schedules, cost estimates, reporting variances to estimates, and managing project documentation. Responsibilities for scheduling include establishing systems and procedures for cost and resource loading. The senior manager will also establish procedures and methods for maintaining schedule and budget baselines and releasing updates for approved changes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
• Establish standards for creating project schedules and estimating durations
• Create practices for resource loading schedules that allows for planning and coordination of personnel in the engineering department
• Establish standards for determining project cost estimates, spend plans, and cash flows
• Set methods for merging cost estimates with schedule to create a cost loaded schedule
• Reporting progress using Earned Value Management, including cost and schedule performance index (CPI and SPI)
• Ensure that cost and schedules baselines are maintained. Create procedures for releasing authorized changes and risk reserves to new baselines.
• Establish and maintain configuration management and version control for project documentation
• Coordinate with project managers on standard practice for creating schedules, estimates, and project documentation.
• Manage staff and establish career paths. Determine staffing levels and systems needs for project control.
• Participating in strategic planning, advising in project estimates
• Work with project reporting to validate the quality of data, and design of summary reports
• Work with training and policy on the implementation of new procedures for project management
• Coordinate with Business Improvement on the proper reporting of production units and labor charges
• Coordinate policies and tools with finance to validate project related data and report on 3rd party projects. This includes establishing controls for flagging 3rd party projects at 80% of agreement value.
WORK EXPERIENCE :
• Extensive project management and\or controls experience in engineering or construction industries
• Demonstrated experience with scheduling including critical path method, cost loading
• Demonstrated experience with cost estimating including cash flow
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills communicating with project managers, contractors, and senior management
• A history of establishing controls for a portfolio of projects and programs exceeding $100M
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE :
• Project management certification, such as CMAA-CCM, PMI PMP, PMI-SP, AACE
• Familiarity with Primavera
• Experience working on transportation industry projects
• A history of defining requirements and implementation of enterprise systems for financial and project reporting.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS :
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Yes
Requisition ID: 24603
Posting Location(s): Pennsylvania
Personnel Area: PA08
Job Family/Function: Engineering
Relocation Offered: Yes
Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements: 10 plus years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering