Amtrak Communication Officer* - 90206726 - Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Amtrak Police Department is in the process of filling a Communication Officer position for its National Communications Center located in Wilmington, DE (however, depending on the hire date, position may initially be located in Philadelphia, PA, for 4 – 6 weeks until the National Communications Center moves to Wilmington, DE). Applicants must possess an excellent work history including attendance. The position reports directly to the on-duty communications center shift sergeant.
The position of Communication Officer acts as a public safety tele-communicator for the Amtrak Police Department nationwide handling emergency, and non-emergency calls for police and emergency service requests as well as providing customer service. In addition, communications officers handle all radio communications for the Amtrak Police Department.
Prior satisfactory job performance required.
• Be able to successfully complete all mandatory training.
• Be able to successfully pass a thorough background investigation.
• Be able to type a minimum of 35 WPM
• Be able to think clearly and perform during crisis situations.
• Be able to multi-task in a complex and high-pressure work environment.
• Be able to work in a complex, high-pressure work environment for up to 16 hours.
• Be able to work all shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays and during inclement weather conditions as Communications Officers are considered “key personnel” and are required to report regardless of weather conditions.
• Have a desire to work in the field of public safety and transportation helping people and emergency services during critical situations.
• Carry out day-to-day operations in accordance with all communication center written directives and policies.
• Acquire through training and maintain job-related certifications which include, but are not limited to, Associations of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO), Public Safety Telecommunicator, and Commonwealth Law Enforcement Assistance Network (CLEAN) or applicable system.
Maintain good attitude and ability to work in a team environment.
• Skill in reading maps.
• Skill in Operating communication equipment
• Skill in receiving, prioritizing and dispatching emergency calls.
• Skill in performing multiple tasks in a high stress, high security communication dispatch/call-taking center.
• Be able to work a variety of rotating shifts in a 24-hour-a-day, 7-days-a-week operation with diverse work schedules, such as day shift, swing shift, graveyard and other variations, that include irregular hours, weekends, holidays, mandatory overtime, required reporting regardless of weather conditions
• Computer-aided Dispatch experience and basic computer operations.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Candidates who apply to this posting may be contacted now or at a later date when a position becomes available.
Requisition ID: 24381
Posting Location(s): Delaware; Pennsylvania
Personnel Area: PA08
Job Family/Function: Communications
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: High School/GED
Travel Requirements: None
Employment Experience Requirements: 1 - 3 years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Communications || Amtrak Police