State of Michigan Services Specialist 9/10/P11 Ontonagon County (Case Manager/ Investigator) in Ontonagon, Michigan
This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help*......*
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature;=youtu.be prior to applying for this position. Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
This position is located in Ontonagon, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, Western UP Health Department, 408 Copper Street, Ontonagon, MI 49953.
Why Ontonagon County?
- As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,780, making it the third-least populous county in Michigan.
- The picturesque Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park which includes Lake of the Clouds and Presque Isle River and Falls.
- Ottawa National Forest is nearly one million acres and is also well known for its many waterfalls.
- Ontonagon County shares a long border with Lake Superior to the north with miles of coastline and the Historic Ontonagon Lighthouse
- Ontonagon County has 350 miles of groomed marked snowmobile trails
- Ski down the slopes of the Porcupine Mountains Ski Area
- Local events include the Porcupine Music Festival, CopperFest, and Hometown Christmas
- Along with the better known Bond Falls and Agate Falls, Ontonagon County is home to over a hundred waterfalls.
- Explore the historic small towns and settlements of the area, which feature lighthouses, ghost towns, copper mines and other historic sites.
- The county borders Lake Superior and has part of Lake Gogebic, the UP's largest inland lake within its borders.
- The Ontonagon River is popular for canoeing and kayaking.
- For further information please view http://porcupinemountains.com/ & http://ontonagonmi.org/
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFUL*LY, *To be considered for this position you must:
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":
- *If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? *
- How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge?
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).* We accept scanned copies of official* transcripts.Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript.
- As a Condition of Employment –this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis. YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS INTERVIEWED WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE RESULTS. Failure to complete any of the above items may result in your application being screened out. DUE TO THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY THE DEPARTMENT, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION OVER THE PHONE.
See instructions for attaching files here: Instructions
For further information regarding this posting please contact Kari Salmi at (906) 228-0745 or SalmiK1@michigan.gov
Salary: $1,507.20 - $2,329.60 Biweekly
Job Type: Permanent Full Time
Job Number: SS - Ontonagon 2016
Location: Ontonagon, MI
Department: Health and Human Services - Counties
Agency: State of Michigan
Address: 400 South Pine Street Lansing, Michigan, 48909.
Phone: (800) 788-1766