Chesapeake Energy Corporation Manager - Payroll in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Our core values — integrity and trust, respect, transparency and open communication, commercial focus and change leadership — are the lens through which we evaluate every business decision. As a dynamic, growing company that offers extremely competitive compensation and benefits, our employees are our most valued assets and the foundation of Chesapeake’s performance among our E&P competitors.
The Manager of Payroll is responsible for managing, planning, and coordinating payroll and related tasks. The manager will also work closely with HR, Tax, IT and Legal teams to accomplish the organizations payroll processing objectives.
Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage daily operations of the SAP Payroll administration functions with regards to accuracy, timeliness, excellent customer focus and compliance
- Test and confirm systems and processes correctly compute and record time, earnings, equity, commissions, benefits and deductions, taxes, garnishments, and other components of payroll in a strong internal controls environment
- Coordinate and align with HR Management on short-term and long-term vision for payroll operations and organization
- Ensures timely and accurate preparation of all the Chesapeake payroll operations and works closely with Human Resources to ensure that payroll actions are in conformance with employment and benefits practices and accounting procedures.
- Interprets employment policies and government regulations in connection with payroll activities and makes recommendations on improvements, modifications, or changes as needed.
- Ensures payroll operations meet SOX compliance.
- Responsible for the resolution of complicated processing, tax or system programming issues.
- Provides second-level responses and interpretations for Payroll Specialists on the organization’s policies and governmental regulations affecting payroll procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Licenses and Certifications
Bachelor’s degree from accredited university required.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field from accredited university preferred.
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field from accredited university preferred.
- PHR, SPHR or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification preferred.
8-10+ years of experience in payroll operations required.
5+ years of payroll operations experience including federal, multiple state and local authorities preferred.
- 5+ years of equity programs and administration experience with various payroll preferred.
- 5+ years of experience maintaining SOX controls preferred.
- 5+ years of SAP HR systems, preferably with ADP, experience required.
Core Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate strong computer knowledge including Microsoft Office applications. Able to learn company specific applications.
- Strategic thinker dedicated to improving and expanding the department through innovative solutions
- Detail-oriented and ability to articulate Payroll information
- Able to effectively manage time and prioritize projects in order to meet established deadlines.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to work effectively with all levels of co-workers, clients, and other external contacts.
- Able to effectively abide company policies, procedures, and technology.
- Able to function independently in a multi-task environment, as well as part of a team.
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
Job Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of human resource management procedures, practices, principles, laws and regulations, in the areas of payroll, employee relations, talent acquisition, benefits, compensation, compliance talent management and other HR functions.
- High comfort level working with integrated human resources and payroll process systems
- Strong knowledge of government and state regulations in regards to payroll process.
- Ability to make strategic recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with Human Resources standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
- Able to analyze and interpret statistics, survey and other data; independently compose reports and presentations.
- Knowledge of psychological research methods; including needs assessment, design and evaluation.
- Strong knowledge of HRMS database design, structure, functions and processes.
- Strong project management skills and experience with system-related projects.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities.
- Ability to identify and anticipate client needs and make strategic recommendations for implementation.
- Ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult, and emotional issues.
- Strong client management and business acumen skills.
- Ability to understand and promote the linkage between business and human resource activities.
- Knowledge of administrative procedures in order to prepare and maintain reports, budgets, and administrative records as required.
- Ability to assign, delegate, and direct the work of others.
- Ability to provide on-the-job training, performance assessment, coaching, motivation, and career development to employees.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and the coordination of people and resources.
- Able to show flexibility in response to change and adapt to and accommodate new policies, procedures, and technology.
- Ability to ensure all employees are operating within all Chesapeake, state, and federal guidelines, policies, and regulations.
Chesapeake Energy takes necessary action to ensure that all applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Nearest Major Market: Oklahoma City
Nearest Secondary Market: Oklahoma
Job Segment: Payroll, Equity, ERP, Manager, Finance, Technology, Management, Research