National Park Service Painter in Middlesex County, Massachusetts
National Park Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Middlesex County, MA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Term NTE NTE 13 Month
Opened Friday 10/14/2016 (9 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (5 day(s) away)
Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service, as we prepare for a second century of Stewardship and Engagement. Become a part of our mission to connect with our past and create important connections to the future by building a rich and lasting legacy for the next generation of park visitors, supporters and advocates. For more information about the National Park Service, click Lowell National Historical Park.
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Open to all qualified U.S. citizens. You do not have to be a current or former government employee to be considered for this position.
This is a Term position. Initial appointment is 13 months with possible extensions up to 4 years.
This vacancy may be used to fill additional positions as funding allows.
This position is located in Lowell National Historical Park. The primary purpose of the position is to perform the full range of painting, including surface preparation, blending and matching paints, and coating of various surfaces requiring decorative and other effects. Other major duties include:
- Prepares various surfaces of interior and exterior components of buildings and other structures by mechanically and chemically removing old paint and rust, filling cracks, sanding and applying fillers and base coats. Washes and sands surfaces as necessary and treats them with oil, turpentine, or other preparations. Selects more sophisticated methods of surface preparation when necessary to ensure a high quality, decorative finish.
- Mixes, thins, blends, matches, tints and tones coating materials. Adds pigment and/or thinners to gauge the change of color tone and drying properties. Mixes stains, epoxies, enamels, varnishes, shellacs, lacquers, plastic paints, bituminous paints and other surface coating materials.
- Applies coating materials using brushes, rollers, spray guns and other means of applications. Applies coating techniques that ensure surfaces have a smooth textured and decorative appearance and meet thickness and level requirements. Sets up, adjusts, and operates spray painting equipment or other power painting equipment. Sands between coats and rubs or polishes final coats as necessary to obtain proper adhesive between coats and specified finishes. May bake finish on enameled and painted articles.
- Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations and maintains a safe and clean environment. Uses and assures proper fit of required safety equipment and clothing.
- Uses and maintains tools. Uses tools such as brushes, rollers, spray guns, graining devices, viscosity testers, thickness gauges, compressors, as well as common hand and power tools to do the work. Maintains records and documents actions.
- May perform other trades work for no more than 20% of the time.
*PHYSICAL DEMANDS: *The painter prepares and coats surfaces-from ladders. scaffolds platforms, and in situations where the surfaces to be coated are in cramped and hard to reach places. The work may be at extreme heights (such as water towers or tall buildings): This requires the ability to stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, be strapped into swing stages and work in tiring and uncomfortable positions. Ability to lift, carry and set up materials and equipment that weighs up to 10 pounds. Occasionally, may be required to handle materials and equipment that weighs 40 pounds and over.
*WORK ENVIRONMENT: *The work is done inside and outside, with dirt, spray, and fumes usually present. The employee is sometimes required to prepare, treat and coat surfaces outside in all types of weather. Protective equipment and clothing such as safety shoes, safety glasses or. sun glasses gloves, rain gear, hard hats, coveralls, respirators and other protective gear are required, which are sometimes heavy and uncomfortable. Frequent exposure to the possibility of cuts and bruises and occasionally be exposed to the possibility of broken bones.
*AREA INFORMATION/HOUSING INFORMATION: *Lowell National Historical Park is located in Lowell, Massachusetts, which is 35 miles northwest of Boston and served by Boston commuter rail service. The history of America's Industrial Revolution is commemorated in downtown Lowell. The Boott Cotton Mills Museum with its weave room of 88 operating looms, "mill girl" boardinghouses, the Suffolk Mill turbine, and guided tours tell the story of transition from farm to factory, chronicle immigrant and labor history, and trace industrial technology.
The City of Lowell is centrally located in New England with a wide variety of cultural and recreational activities easily accessible. Beaches and mountains are within two hours drive. The University of Massachusetts at Lowell, as well as colleges and universities in the Boston area provide many cultural and educational opportunities. The ethnic restaurants in Lowell reflect the dynamic composition of the city. Temperatures range from the high teens in winter to 80 degrees or more in summer. A great variety of services are available in the area, including, medical, schools, churches, shopping, etc. Homes and rentals are readily available and are considered expensive.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement,Friday, October 28, 2016. Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors. WG: Applicants must be physically fit and must possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the elements listed in Section 25 of the Online Occupational Questionnaire to perform the duties of the position at the level for which they are applying. A specific length of time and experience is not required; however you must be able to demonstrate through experience shown in your written application, that you possess sufficient knowledge, skill and ability to perform the duties of the position without more than normal supervision. Examples of experience for this position include: Specialized experience that demonstrates the ability to independently apply coating materials to various surfaces by accepted methods, which include brushing, rolling, spraying, cutting-in, overflowing, and troweling to ensure a smooth-textured and decorative appearance and meet thickness requirements. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. You must meet level 2 on the screen out factor/element and an average of level 2 on all factors/elements in the occupational assessment questionnaire.
Requirements 1. If new to Federal Civil Service, you will be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year. 2. National Park Service (NPS) uniformed position. Employee will be required to wear a uniform and comply with NPS uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided to defray the cost of the uniform. 3. You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid state issued drivers license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Some of the most popular benefits include:
Flexible Spending Accounts
Long Term Care Insurance
- If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
2. Promotion Potential: This position has no promotion potential.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the selected employee.
NOTE: Applicants must submit their application packages electronically or by fax. Applications/resumes and supporting documentation sent by mail (including email) WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Salary Range: $22.83 to $22.83 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: WG-4102-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453082600
Job Announcement Number: NSHRO-MFO-1822714