Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation Laborer, WG - 3502 - 3 (Open to All U.S. Citizens) "SR" MB in Massena, New York
Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation
FEW vacancies in the following location:
- Massena, NY
Work Schedule is Full Time - Temporary and Permanent
Opened Friday 5/27/2016 (150 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 3/27/2017 (154 day(s) away)
About the Agency
This announcement establishes one (1) open continuous Standing Register for Temporary and Permanent Laborer positions. When completing your application you will have the option to select which appointment option you want to be considered for, or you can choose to be considered for both, temporary and permanent opportunities. Brief details describing each appointment are listed in this ‘Job Summary’ section, for more detailed information go to the ‘Duties’ section. This register will be open for 300 days (10 months), closing March 27, 2017.
Position is located in the Office of Engineering and Maintenance, Maintenance Division, Facility Maintenance Branch, Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation, Massena, NY. Massena is one of the most northern geographical towns in New York State and is located on the St. Lawrence River bordering Canada. In less than 2 hours you can travel to Montreal, Quebec or Ottawa, Ontario.
As a Laborer you will maintain buildings and outlying areas at all of our Massena facilities in a neat and orderly fashion, and provide labor assistance to other trades.
Reimbursement for pre-employment interview expenses are not authorized. Applicants are responsible for all costs involved with traveling to Massena, NY for the an interview. If you do not live in the local commuting area, you can opt for a phone interview.
As a Laborer, you will:
- Provide janitorial service to Corporation Buildings such as the following: sweeps, scrubs, mops, waxes, and polishes floors;; dusts furniture and machinery; empties waste baskets and removes trash; cleans windows, walls, venetian blinds, and light fixtures of shops, offices, hallways, rooms, exits and entrances to buildings.
- Operate heavy duty floor maintenance equipment
- Make minor repairs to buildings and furnishings such as tightening screws, securing loose parts, etc.
- Assist other trades where work performed requires no journeyman level skill such as the following: stacks lumber and other heavy materials; blasts, scrapes and removes paint; digs ditches and trenches; grades and slopes topsoil and backfill materials; demolishes, fills and repairs asphalt and concrete surfaces; signals for traffic control and crane operations; loads and unloads heavy or bulky materials and equipment; moves and erects staging equipment; and keeps work sites neat and orderly.
- You must be a U.S. citizen & meet specialized experience to qualify.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- Job announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
- Additional selections may be made from this announcement.
Qualifications for the position are based on the training, experience, or other requirements that determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactorily in the position to be filled.
For the Wage Grade 03, to qualify, your experience should include experience equal or equivalent to the following job elements:
- Ability to do the work of the position.
- Work Practices (Ability to work safely).
- Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment.
- Dexterity and Safety
- Ability To Interpret Instructions Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. If you do not meet the minimum levels in the ability to do the work OR if you do not meet the minimum level overall, you will be disqualified.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You may check your application status by logging into USAJobs.com. (Select "My USAJOBS" and click "Applications"). Within two weeks of the closing date, a Human Resources Specialist will evaluate your application. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. Qualified candidates will be assigned a score between 70 and 100, not including points that may be assigned for veterans' preference. The most highly qualified candidates are then referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you directly. Once the position is filled, we will notify all applicants of their final status.
Review our benefits
Displaced employees may be eligible for ICTAP or CTAP priority consideration. For more information, please review the OPM Employee's Guide to Career Transition.
Continued Conditions of Employment:
You will be required to successfully complete a pre- appointment physical, which includes a functional capacity test that mimics the job movements and stressors of the essential functions of the position. You may be assigned to duties requiring the use of a respirator, and will be fit tested for a respirator upon entering the position. You must be clean-shaven for the initial fit-testing, and for any future assignments requiring the wearing of the respirator.
Physical Effort for Essential Functions:
May work in tiring or uncomfortable positions for long periods. Work requires frequent bending, reaching, stretching, climbing, and crouching. Sometimes performs strenuous work while standing, lying or sitting. Frequently lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 or 50 pounds, and often puts forth similar effort in pushing, pulling, turning and positioning parts, assemblies, equipment, and tools. Often lifts and moves heavier items with the assistance of other workers and with lifting devices.
Works both inside and outside. When inside, is frequently exposed to drafts, changing temperatures, and noise which is difficult to talk above. When outside, may sometimes work in bad weather, in mud or snow and in wet or icy areas. Both inside and outside, is frequently exposed to irritation or discomfort from dust, heat, fumes, and from hard, damp floors or ground. Typically works on parts and systems which are dirty, oily, or greasy. Works from ladders, staging, man baskets, and rafts on/over water.
Is frequently exposed to the possibility of receiving cuts, burns, bruises, and sprains while repairing, positioning, and moving equipment. Is often exposed to the possibility of receiving burns and skin irritations from acid, fluids, and lubricants.
To reduce the dangers and irritations from the above conditions, follows prescribed safety practices and uses safety equipment such as protective ear devices, hard hats, safety-toe shoes, respirators, fall protection, personal floatation devices, and protective clothing. Some of these safety items may be uncomfortable to wear or use, and may be worn or used for long periods.
Salary Range: $20.60 to $23.60 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: WG-3502-03/03
Promotion Potential: 03
Supervisory Status: No
Control Number: 440198400
Job Announcement Number: SLSDC.MNT-2016-0004