AbbVie UK Head of Medical Affairs Oncology in Maidenhead, United Kingdom
The Head of Medical Affairs Oncology is critical in supporting the preparedness of AbbVie in bringing to market novel compounds which will address areas of unmet clinical need. This will be achieved by a strong Medical Affairs team and engagement and collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders.
To effectively structure, build and lead the UK Oncology Medical Affairs Department, providing guidance and support to the team in defining critical strategies and executing innovative medical activities that support the therapy area.
To develop strong partnerships with external and internal stakeholders i.e. Healthcare Professionals, Brand Team, Medical Director, Regional and Global Medical Affairs colleagues as well as other internal functions e.g. Site Management and Monitoring, Legal, Finance.
- Build and provide leadership to the UK Oncology Medical Affairs team
- Lead the UK Oncology Medical Affairs department in defining critical strategies and executing medical activities that support the therapy area.
- Ensure proactive scientific and clinical input by members of the Medical department and the Oncology Medical Affairs Department into the Brand teams and key brand initiatives.
- Assist and advise Brand team members on all promotional activities, and ensure compliance with the ABPI Prescription Medicines Code of Practice
- Respond to Inter-company Code of Practice complaints and liaise with the PMCPA
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of the company’s products, the therapeutic area and the structure and workings of the NHS
- Establish and develop strong relationships with key external customers including External Experts, Public Bodies e.g. Department of Health, MHRA and key external influencers e.g. NHSE.
- Ensure appropriate support by the Medical Affairs Team for relevant personnel on disease/product knowledge
- Ensure appropriate support to the Clinical Research Department in the management of GPRD clinical trials in the UK, the management of local studies and support for Investigator Initiated Studies.
- Ensure clinical support is provided to HEOR Department including input into HE strategy and Health Technology Assessment submissions. Also assist with interactions with Market Access/HTA Bodies where appropriate.
- Ensure clinical support/guidance and training is provided to all other functions within the Medical Division and UK affiliate, as required.
- Respond to requests for individual named patient supplies as required
- Maintain AbbVie Ltd as registered site for Higher Medical Training and ensure appropriate HMT and CME training requirements met for all physicians within the Medical Affairs Department, for example, support revalidation for doctors with Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine.
- Lead the brand-aligned Medical team and ensure its compliance to corporate requirements and processes on medical activities
- Drive Medical Strategy and align with Global strategies for the Brand within the Brand Team and integrate it into the Brand Plan
- Oversee Medical activities within the Brand Team, according to local resources and regulations
- Play an active part within Brand Teams and identify opportunities to work collaboratively with cross-functional colleagues to deliver on brand objectives
- Explore with other affiliates opportunities for international collaborative studies
- Develop and control consolidated budgets for Medical activities for the Oncology Medical Affairs team.
- Specifically, supervise the initiation, conduct and analysis of the results of clinical /scientific programs and clinical education activities; drive the integration of these results in the brand strategy
- Supervise and performance manage team and ensure Medical Science Liaisons are appropriately aligned to the core medical and brand strategies.
- Deputise for the Medical Director where delegated and in his/her absence.
Qualifications & Experience
- Medically qualified with a number of years clinical experience post-registration and GMC registered or PhD scientist or pharmacist background
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience of working in a complex matrix organisation
- Experience of managing a team of people
- Experience of working in a stakeholder/customer-facing role
- Experience of working in oncology is preferable
Fluent English speaker
Ability to build and develop a team of specialists skills and talents
- Ability to think and plan strategically and to adopt an open-minded approach to common challenges
- Ability to understand and to empathise with other stakeholders both within the company and external
- Ability to manage and work closely within a team in a matrix organisation, and in particular with a commercial team and with in-field personnel from other functions
- Ability to deal with conflicting interests within a multi-functional team and the leadership skills to bring these interests together towards a common goal
- Ability to communicate formally and informally with top External Experts and other healthcare organisations
- Ability to deliver high quality presentations both independently and as part of a team when incorporating technical data for external communication
Ability to lead a field-based team effectively and efficiently
The closing date for applications is 31st October 2016.
As an employer of choice - AbbVie benefits from receiving a large volume of candidates for each role, should you not receive communication back from us within 15 business days of the closing date of the posting, it has unfortunately not been possible to include you in the short-listing process.
AbbVie have a blended sourcing methodology to ensure we attract the best talent from a diverse background. We would therefore respectfully request for agencies not to make direct contact, should we need to adjust our approach for any reason, we will reach out to possible specialist partners directly.
Job Classification: Experienced
Primary Location: United Kingdom-England-Maidenhead
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 1605850