Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Investigator Support Assistant in Los Angeles, California
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Los Angeles, CA
Work Schedule is Full-Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (2 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 10/26/2016 (6 day(s) away)
About the Agency
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is composed of a highly motivated and diverse team dedicated to the agency?s mission ? to eradicate employment discrimination. Come join us and make a difference.
As an EEOC Investigator Support Assistant, you will provide assistance and support to EEOC Investigators and other EEOC staff who investigate cases for the lead civil rights agency responsible for enforcing federal laws that prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, and genetic information, and perform related educational and outreach activities
As an Investigator Support Assistant, you will perform a variety of administrative, technical and clerical functions in support of the investigation of charges of employment discrimination, including:
- Handling routine inquiries from members of public, in writing and through face to face interaction;
- Interviewing individuals who believe they have been discriminated against;
- Counseling individuals on whether EEOC or some other organization has jurisdiction over their allegations;
- Following up with individuals, as requested, to secure additional information;
- Organizing, maintaining, and transmitting case files in accordance with applicable statutes, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Conducting research in case files and reference materials, as requested;
- Maintaining computerized case related data systems;
- Proofreading documents for correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, and compliance with correspondence policies;
- Responding to routine requests for information from case files
- Not Required
- Must be a US Citizen
- Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
In order to be considered qualified, you must demonstrate in your resume and responses to questions, at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 level in the Federal service. This specialized experience is defined as experience which has equipped you with the ability to communicate effectively with members of the public; assemble and organize case files; manage a case load.
Your application will be evaluated on the following Core Competencies:
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of the public and other EEOC staff
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to organize and assemble documents
- Ability to manage a case load
- Ability to type at least 40 wpm
- Proficiency in computer system skills. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translate directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Four (4) years of education above high school is fully qualifying in lieu of experience.
Four (4) years of education above high school is fully qualifying in lieu of experience.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualification Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on OPM's website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted.
Review our benefits
- Time in Grade requirement must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- EEOC will not pay travel, transportation and relocation expenses.
- You may be required to travel and you may be required to apply for a government travel card.
- A background investigation is required and continued employment is contingent on completion of that process to determine suitability for federal employment.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position.
- Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employeeguides/careertransition.asp It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Salary Range: $36,076.00 to $46,899.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-1802-5/5
Promotion Potential: 7
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens and Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Control Number: 453662100
Job Announcement Number: FPLAX-16-10002060-092-TMD