HCA, Hospital Corporation of America EMT in Houston, Texas
_West Houston Medical Center – Houston, TX_
_Emergency Medical Technician - ED_ _Shift: Evenings with rotating weekends_ West Houston Medical Center offers outstanding inpatient and outpatient healthcare services close to your home in west Houston. Built in 1985, our 278-bed acute care hospital is located on Richmond Avenue just east of Dairy Ashford. West Houston Medical Center boasts a team of more than 1,000 people, including 500 physicians, who are committed to the care and improvement of human life. Our staff includes people from 33 countries and 39 states, a diversity which helps us relate to our equally diverse community.
West Houston Medical Center is currently looking for a*Emergency Medical Technician. *
POSITION SUMMARY Under the direction of the Emergency Room Director, Manager, Charge Nurse, or Registered Nurse, assists with the care of the patient, cleaning of equipment and work areas.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Communicates effectively with patients, health team members, physicians, peers and visitors in a clear, concise, and positive manner.
- Consistently responds to customer’s needs in a professional, timely and effective manner.
- Performs 12 lead EKG’s on designated patients
- Collects laboratory samples on assigned patients
- Performs daily unit assignments consistently (i.e., changing of sharps and glove containers, refrigerator temperature logs, crash cart checks, quality control, etc.)
- Assists patients with transfers and ambulating utilizing appropriate safety measures.
- Consistently takes vital signs at appropriately designated times and as requested.
- Initiates CPR and participates in code situations as directed by Staff Nurse/Physician
- Consistently and appropriately cleans equipment; reports potentially unsafe situations and malfunctioning equipment to Charge Nurse.
- Proficient in taking vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, height and weight); able to take B/P manually as well as with Dinamap/Portable Monitor
- Assists in monitoring IV fluids, troubleshooting IV pumps, and discontinuing peripheral IV’s as directed
- Inserts and removes Foley catheters with proper sterile technique and documentation
- Accurately performs quality control checks (i.e., Accucheck glucometer, I-Stat device)
- Safely and efficiently performs phlebotomy
- Completes saline lock competency and follows policy for procedure
- Completes other activities as assigned
- Adheres to the Customer Service Principles of West Houston Medical Center.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS * High school graduate or equivalency with some college or technical training (example LVN, RN Associate Degree). * One (1) year healthcare related experience and must have ability to read, write, and speak English well.
*LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
- Certified EMT, EMT-I, Paramedic or PSN(Professional Student Nurse)
- Current CPR - American Heart Association required
- NIMs 100 and 700 training required or must obtain within 90 days of employment
Location: Texas-Houston-West Houston Medical Center - Houston
Requisition ID: 00417-70516