George Mason University Procurement Officer II in Fairfax, Virginia
Assistant Director, Purchasing
The George Mason University Purchasing Office is seeking an Assistant Director to lead a team that handles complicated and highly technical procurement activities across a wide variety of goods and services. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Purchasing, the Assistant Director shall oversee a small team ensuring that purchases are made in accordance with the Code of Virginia, university policy and purchasing best practices. Essential duties include:
- Managing the procurement cycle for the purchase of the most complex general goods and services;
- Receiving and reviewing requisitions, specifications, and scopes of work; and assimilating into detailed needs statements and bidding documents;
- Analyzing bids and proposals, working with evaluation committees to determine best value, and awarding contracts;
- Developing, championing and ensuring implementation of strategic sourcing/category management principles that will optimize total cost of ownership for assigned spend category;
- Developing contract negotiation strategies, and serving as the lead in driving contract negotiations to achieve stated goals and objectives;
- Utilizing rate control terms within agreements to maintain pricing in alignment with market through contract life cycle;
- Working collaboratively with business stakeholders to analyze, monitor and manage internal demand for related goods and services within assigned spend category; and
- Assisting in developing and executing category management strategies to include risk assessments; overall market, industry and supply base analysis; and category and vendor segmentation.
* Required Qualifications:*
- A bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of skills and experience;
- Previous supervisory experience in a purchasing capacity;
- Recent experience leading the request for proposal (RFP) process for complex goods and services with a dollar value frequently in excess of $1,000,000;
- Ability to manage complex, highly technical contract negotiations with minimal assistance; and
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to dynamically present to large groups of diverse stakeholders.
- A nationally recognized certification in the field of procurement;
- Prior experience in a higher education environment; and
- Juris Doctor degree, or an equivalent combination of contracting expertise and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 00390z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Department: Purchasing and Accounts Payable
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check, Financial Background Check
Motor Vehicle Background Check: No
Restricted Position?: No, is eligible for layoff or severance benefits.
Job Category: Classified Staff
Role (State) Job Title: Procurement Officer II
Working Title: Assistant Director, Purchasing
Job Type: Full-Time
Position Number: 00390z
Recruit Number: Staff - 7858
Working Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Pay Band: Payband 5
Salary: Commensurate with education and training.
For Full Consideration, Apply by: November 18, 2016
Posting Date: 10/18/2016
Open Until Filled?: Yes
Telework Friendly?: Yes
Equity Statement: George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Campus Safety Information: Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/