George Mason University Information Technology Specialist II in Fairfax, Virginia
The George Mason University Web Applications and Services team—within Information Technology Services (ITS), located on the Fairfax, Va. campus—seeks a Java/J2EE Developer. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Java/ J2EE Developer will be responsible for the end-to-end implementation and maintenance of small and large applications using Web and J2EE technologies. The incumbent will maintain the architectural frameworks/patterns, processes, standards and guidelines for system development specifically around application architecture, integration architecture and IT controls.
- A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated cumulative Java programming experience;
- Familiarity with J2EE Web Application development and demonstrate good understanding on J2EE architecture, object oriented design and design patterns;
- Technical knowledge of software development and systems analysis;
- Ability to analyze problems and provide resolutions;
- Ability to express oneself clearly in both verbal and written communication;
- Familiarity with full systems development lifecycle concepts;
- Demonstrated success in the following development skills: analysis, design, development, testing, and debugging of software;
- Experience with one or more industry standard Java IDEs, such as Eclipse, IBM Rational Software Architect, WebSphere Application Developer, Borland JBuilder and JDeveloper;
- Experience working with relational databases such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL, and associated technologies such as SQL, PL/SQL;
- Experience with Web Server, such as Apache Tomcat; and
- Experience with CM processes and Version Control tools such as CVS or GitLab.
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in computer science, or related technical/IT field (or equivalent combination of education and work experience);
- Independent working knowledge cumulative experience to include systems engineering, software systems development, and systems architecture development;
- Experience with J2EE Architecture, design and implementation, including Object Oriented Design, Design Patterns;
- Experience in open source framework such as Spring, Structs and Hibernate;
- Experience with various development methodologies and UML;
- Experience working with/ interfacing to large-scale ERP systems and their underlying database tables;
- Experience customizing third-party applications through API interfaces, messaging and other means;
- Ability to translate user needs into requirements documents and coordinate testing, implementation and training for these requests with the technical team and other functional team members;
- Ability to identify and recommend new processes or business practices for the purpose of streamlining business processes (internal and external);
- Capable of independently researching, analyzing, evaluating and documenting issues, products and solutions;
- Experience working directly with customers in order to understand their business needs and to ensure proposed solutions do not conflict with established business practices;
- Experience with JSF and MyFaces;
- Working knowledge of principles, philosophies and best practices for Identity Management; and
- Experience with Web Service development in Java.
Salary is up to $70,000, and commensurate with education and experience.
George Mason University is a great place to work where employees are appreciated and given an opportunity to develop skills and expand your horizons. Mason offers tuition waivers; telecommuting and flextime schedules; and the campus environment is dynamic, ethnically and culturally diverse.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01870z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references to include e-mail address and contact number.
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Department: Information Technology Services (ITS)
Alternate Department Description: Enterprise Appls-Web Applications & Services
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Motor Vehicle Background Check: No
Restricted Position?: No, is eligible for layoff or severance benefits.
Job Category: Classified Staff
Role (State) Job Title: Information Technology Specialist II
Working Title: Java/J2EE Developer
Job Type: Full-Time
Position Number: 01870z
Recruit Number: Staff - 7872
Working Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Pay Band: Payband 5
Salary: Up to $70,000; commensurate with education and experience.
For Full Consideration, Apply by: November 7, 2016
Posting Date: 10/18/2016
Open Until Filled?: Yes
Telework Friendly?: Yes
Equity Statement: George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Campus Safety Information: Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/