Ally Financial Director, Accounting Policy in Detroit, Michigan
Sep 21, 2016
This Director will be a key member of Ally's Controller's Team. The position will be responsible for supporting business unit and corporate function complex accounting transactions, leading new GAAP implementations, and maintaining the Corporate Accounting Policy library. This position will collaborate with and support the various corporate and business unit partners to ensure appropriate accounting conclusions are reached and implemented. The position provides leadership and support on the technical accounting aspects of all assigned projects to the accounting and finance staff of our business partners. The position will also work closely with Ally's external auditors.
- Write and maintain Corporate accounting policies & minimum procedures
- Assist in structuring Firm securitization transactions to ensure that they meet GAAP requirements
- Assist in structuring new capital funding vehicles.
- Assist product teams with GAAP issues arising from structuring complex transactions
- Lead new GAAP implementation in specific areas supported
- Review and assess the adequacy of various internal valuations specific to the Global Valuation Committee
- Lead the Global Valuation Committee meetings and discussions
- Work with senior leadership to provide accounting analysis and business plan support related to specific transactions
- Prepare accounting memos
- Assist in evaluating performance, interviewing and selection of new personnel, and assisting in training and development of the team
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree required (Accounting major preferred)
- CPA (or equivalent) and /or MBA strongly preferred
- 10+ years previous work experience in Accounting or related field preferred (banking, financial services, and/or function specific experience preferred)
- Strong technical accounting expertise
- Routinely exhibit a strong work ethic and high degree of self-motivation
- Strong oral and written communication skills -- will routinely be asked to communicate to senior leadership or larger groups
- Ability to lead a project team in a matrixed environment
- Ability to organize data, perform independent analysis, and provide and present explanations/conclusions independently
- Ability to work with limited supervision while applying previous experience to execute substantially all tasks
- Ability to lead new initiatives or projects
- Comfortable frequently interacting with other personnel in group or support staff from other departments; frequently interacts with other internal and external personnel (i.e., external auditors, regulators) on specific projects or more complex tasks; interacts with senior leadership
Ally Financial Inc. (NYSE: ALLY) is a leading digital financial services company and a top 25 U.S. financial holding company offering financial products for consumers, businesses, automotive dealers and corporate clients. Ally's legacy dates back to 1919, and the company was redesigned in 2009 with a distinctive brand, innovative approach and relentless focus on its customers. Ally has an award-winning online bank (member FDIC), one of the largest full service auto finance operations in the country, a complementary auto-focused insurance business, a growing digital wealth management and online brokerage platform, and a trusted corporate finance business offering capital for equity sponsors and middle-market companies.
Business Unit/Enterprise Function
Finance strives to be a trusted adviser to the enterprise and prides itself on maintaining the highest level of integrity and accountability. Finance is responsible for finance reporting, financial analysis, accounting, strategy and planning, tax and investor relations.
Total Rewards Information
Ally's compensation program offers market-competitive base pay and bonus pay potential based on achieving personal and company goals. Plus, we have a flexible paid time-off program with an emphasis on work-life balance.
Ally offers a variety of benefits to protect your health and well-being, provide financial security and balance your work-life needs including:
- Industry-leading 401K Retirement Savings Plan including Matching and Company Contributions
- Comprehensive wellness program with financial incentives designed to help you achieve your best health
- Flexible health insurance options including dental and vision
- Pre-tax Health Savings Account with generous employer contributions
- Pre-tax dependent care and commuter benefits
- Other work-life integration benefits including Paid Parental & Caregiver Leave, Adoption Assistance, Back-up Child & Adult/Elder Care, Child Care Discounts, Tuition Reimbursement, LifeMatters Employee Assistance Program, Weight Watchers and other employee discount programs
Ally is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We extend equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition or any other reason protected by law.
ALLY JOB REQUISITION: 16-6234
POSITION LEVEL: Experienced
AVAILABLE WORK LOCATIONS: Michigan (Detroit), North Carolina (Charlotte), Pennsylvania (Fort Washington)