City and County of Denver Denver Recycles Internship - Public Works in Denver, Colorado
Denver Recycles is searching for a Professional Intern II to join our small team dedicated to increasing recycling in Denver. Denver Recycles is a program of Denver Solid Waste Management, Public Works, and oversees the residential, facility, and Denver Public School recycling and composting programs in the City of Denver. The intern will assist in all facets of Denver Recycles work with a particular focus on Denver Public School outreach and education, Denver employee engagement efforts, and the City's transition to cart-based collections.
This is a part time position (about 15-20 hours per week) with flexible hours to accommodate school schedule.
The intern will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks including:
- Denver Public Schools: Support projects to increase waste diversion in several DPS schools. Includes baseline measurement, data tracking, outreach planning and design, and on-site interventions.
- Facility Recycling Initiative: Support efforts to increase recycling and composting in Denver employee occupied facilities.
- Cart Conversion: Support Denver Solid Waste Management staff in converting Denver households from dumpster-based trash collection to cart-based trash collection.
- Denver Composts: Support activities to increase participation in the Denver Composts program.
- Other duties as assigned: Assist and support Denver Recycles staff in day-to-day operations. May includes activities such as mailing and filing, data tracking and recording, answering emails and phones, attending public meetings, attending and staffing special recycling events, planning and executing purchases for new equipment or outreach collateral, and other duties as they come up. Qualifications
Required Education: Must be a current student who has completed 60+ credits leading to a bachelor's degree or higher. Preferred majors include Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Public Administration, Business Administration, Natural Science, or a related field.
*This position requires driving: *A valid driver's license is required.
Pre-employment Screening: An offer of employment is contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by law and City and County of Denver policies, including the successful completion of a background check. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and other verifications required for the position which may include, but are not limited to, employment and/or education verification, motor vehicle record check, drug test, and/or physical. The existence of a conviction does not automatically disqualify an individual from employment except where federal or state law or regulations prohibit employment of an individual with certain convictions. For more information about the selection and employment screening process, click here.
*The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law. *
Salary: $15.88 Hourly
Job Type: Intern
Job Number: 54014 15033
Location: Denver, CO
Department: Public Works (PW)
Closing: 10/31/2016 11:59 PM Mountain