Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Staff Nurse (Community Living Center) in Dayton, Ohio
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Many vacancies in the following location:
- Dayton, OH
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 8/9/2016 (73 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (71 day(s) away)
PLEASE READ THE ANNOUNCEMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE APPLYING. ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
This is an OPEN-CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. Applications will be accepted on an on-going basis. Qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies occur OR until the closing date of this announcement.
The Dayton Veterans Administration Medical Center (VAMC) is looking for applicants who possess integrity and character to become employees that are committed to serving our Nation's Veterans. Employees that place the needs of others ahead of their own, who treat all with dignity and respect, while consistently striving for excellence in their workmanship. Every position at the Dayton VAMC; regardless of job title, provides the opportunity to make a meaningful and personal contribution to America's Veterans. For more information on why choosing to work for the Department of Veterans Affairs is a good career choice, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-=choose-va/index.asp .
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1758755
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The city of Dayton, known as the birthplace of flight, is located in the beautiful rolling hills of Southwestern Ohio and is within an hour drive of Cincinnati and Columbus. The Dayton metropolitan has five universities', affordable real estate, excellent school systems, museums, theater, seasonal recreational opportunities, and is the home of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, and the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. The Dayton VA Medical Center is a tertiary care facility that provides acute, nursing home, mental health hospice/palliative, and domiciliary care in an affiliated teaching and research environment. For more information about the Dayton area, please visit: http://www.daytongcvb.com .
To provide Veterans a continuum of care that is accessible, value-added, cost-effective, and of the highest quality within an environment of outstanding education and research.
To promote a culture that supports and develops a caring, compassionate, competent, and quality-oriented workforce.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
This is an open-continuous announcement within *Community Living Center (CLC) *of Nursing Service at the Dayton VA Medical Center. CLC units include:
Patton's Place - long term care unit (may have 12 hour shifts)
Lincoln Estates - long term care unit
Kennedy Way - Alzheimer's and Memory Care Unit
Victory Ridge - Hospice and Palliative Care Unit
Heroes Point - Skilled Nursing Home care unit
Soaring Eagles - Rehab Unit
If you have a preference for a particular unit, please indicate it on your resume/application materials.
The RN delivers theoretically and scientifically based nursing care to an assigned group of veterans. He/she is constantly building upon current clinical competencies. Serves as an advocate for the veteran and is obligated to demonstrate nonjudgmental and nondiscriminatory attitudes and behaviors that are sensitive to veteran diversity. The RN is accountable to function as an effective team member, team leader, preceptor and/or charge nurse.
Work Schedule: Available shifts are as follows: Day Shift (7:30am - 4:00pm) with rotation to Nights and Evenings; Evening Shift (3:30pm - 12 Midnight); or Night Shift (11:30pm - 8:00am), weekends and holidays are required
If you have a shift preference, please indicate it on your resume/application materials.
Functional Statement Title/#: Staff Nurse (Community Living Center)/000000
This is a Bargaining Unit Position.
Please see the Required Documents section below to submit a complete application packet.
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must submit VA Form 10-2850a application to be considered.
- All required documents must be submitted to be considered.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Please check your school accreditation before applying, if not accredited by the ACEN or CCNE you will not receive further consideration and will be marked ineligible.
Education/Experience Requirements: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
*Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. Mechanical inpatient lifts are provided. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations, operative/invasive procedures, or home settings. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as annual TB screening or testing, as a condition of employment. The incumbent who provides care in home settings or other off-site locations may be required to drive and/or ride GSA vehicles.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $50,596.00 to $108,188.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 446853200
Job Announcement Number: KO-16-RG-1758755-OCA-BU-R