Union County College PT Student Services Generalist (Pool) in Cranford, New Jersey
Union County College is a public comprehensive community college providing quality, affordable, accessible educational programs that serve the greater Union County region. It is the oldest of New Jerseys 19 Associate Degree Colleges, serving both career-minded and transfer-oriented students since 1933.
The College enrolls almost 30,000 credit, non-credit and continuing education students and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Many programs lead to the Associate in Arts, Science and Applied Science degrees.
Campus: Cranford, Elizabeth & Plainfield
The Student Services Generalist will be responsible for assisting students in person, on the phone, and through email regarding College processes and programs. The position generally reports to a Director, Dean, or Associate Director. The Generalist is knowledgeable about enrollment, registration, student records, student financial aid, placement testing, college life, career services, web services, and the academic learning center services.
Characteristics, Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops academic and individual action plans for students on caseload to guide students toward on-time graduation; implements student retention programs as needed.
• Assists students in the admissions/enrollment process by providing application completion assistance, information regarding academic placement testing, basic academic advising as assigned, basic financial aid assistance, registration assistance, Web services, College Portal, and College E-mail instruction, tuition/fee payment instruction, and information on internal and external scholarship opportunities.
• Reads, interprets, and communicates College policies and procedures.
• Provides on-going information to students, potential students, and parents regarding policies, programs, and procedures.
• Promotes the College’s communication systems such as the College’s Student Portal.
• Recommends improvements in department procedures.
• Collaborates with other staff/administrators/faculty to identify needed improvements in procedures and communication.
• Assists with campus previews, new student orientations, parent orientations, financial literacy and other programs as assigned.
• Provides appropriate referrals as required.
• Maintains records of students served and services provided.
• Assists students in co-curricular student development by providing information regarding Student Government Opportunities, volunteer opportunities, internship opportunities, College Club membership and opportunities, College Life sponsored events such as student theater and the student art gallery, and deadline dates for various opportunities . • Performs related duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Bachelor’s degree required in a field related to the position including, but not limited to higher education, counseling, or teacher education.
See “Competencies and Skills Required”
Competencies and Skills Required:
See “Competencies and Skills Required”
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
• This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Some travel required.
Terms of Employment:
Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off-campus sites as needed by the college. Mandatory overtime is required throughout the year, especially at peak times. Position may be required to work at any campus at any time. Employee must establish primary residence in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.
Union County College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, religion, age, disability, handicap or other legally protected status in its provision of employment, education, and activities, or other services. Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes twenty medical plans to choose from including PPO, HMO and HD plans offered by BC/BS and Aetna, three dental plans including two PPOs and one DMO offered by Delta Dental of NJ, and a pension plan with seven investment carriers. We also offer twenty vacation days, ten paid holidays, and a ten week summer work schedule which allows the college to close on Fridays. Other additional benefits include gym privileges, tuition remission for credit and non-credit courses at Union County College, and tuition reimbursement for an approved degree program at an accredited college or university.