J&J Family of Companies Engineering & Design Director in Cork, Ireland
Director- Engineering and Design, Janssen Biologics, part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies
Janssen Biologics established its operation in Ringaskiddy in 2005 on a 100 acre site with an investment of €500 million.
For more than 25 years we have been a global leader in the field of biomedicines, in particular pioneering monoclonal antibody technology a cutting-edge approach to producing medicines that launched a new generation of products to treat immune related diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and plaque psoriasis.
The facility in Ringaskiddy is now operational producing biomedicines for both the treatment of immune related diseases and new and innovative cancer treatments.
The role initially will be dedicated to a very large-scale biotech brown field investment.
As the Director for Engineering and design, your typical day may include:
• Leading the design for a major green/brown field, with value > $ 200 MM
• Proficiency in project/design management, including obtaining agreement on project definitions and priorities, and ensuring that resources, capabilities and processes are in place to deliver the design efficiently and effectively.
• Proficiency working with Bio-Pharmaceutical Manufacturing process equipment and systems, clean/black utilities and HVAC.
• Previous experience working within an AE Design Firm is an advantage
• Use appropriate metrics for engineering performance and sets up plans are to provide continuous improvement.
• Collaborating across other functional areas to establish effective working relationships with Operations and Maintenance partners.
• Ensuring that programs stay on plan by working with project team to resolve resource conflicts and removing obstacles
• Implementing standards and efficient work practices for group processes. Identify opportunities for continued improvement and update of these standards.
• Providing local guidance on technology and engineering issues to all functional areas.
• Developing personal yearly regional goals and objectives that support the overall J&J WWE&TO goals.
• Executing short and long term tactical engineering plans and programs based on strategic departmental plans.
• Complying with all training requirements to perform duties of the job.
• Meeting all mobility demands to perform duties and/or fulfill responsibilities of the job.
• Establishing plans for personal talent development, diversification, and professional development
What you’ll own and how you’ll grow:
• Works with JNJ Affiliate Operating Company (OpCo) Teams and Worldwide Engineering Project Management Team to ensure Design elements of projects are correctly implemented by third party Architectural Engineering firms
• Leads the front end Basis of design (BOD) process including all aspects of design (Arch, Mech, Elec, Process, Automation, etc), working closely with OpCo Team.
• Works with Project Dir./Project Mgr. to manage the performance (cost, schedule, quality) of A/E firm and define correction action plans if necessary
• Provides leadership and directs the design for this project. The E&D Leader must:
o Assure that Project Delivery Process (PDP) process is followed.
o Assure use of Value Improving Practices (VIPs) such as Value Engineering, Constructability Reviews, Waste Minimization, etc.
o Assure the appropriate J&J standards, guidelines, and regulatory requirements (cGXP, EHS,etc.) are incorporated to deliver compliant and efficient project designs
o Coordinate/lead key design reviews with SMEs including other corporate or affiliate resources such as EHS, Risk Management, WW Security, etc.
o Assure that the J&J Standard Design Platforms (SDPs) are deployed on the project. Setup project specific training for internal and external SMEs.
o Assure that projects meet the J&J Sustainability policy and drive the LEED certification process.
o Ensure AE issues Monthly Reports as required and review AE progress and identify action plans where required. Implement Earned Value tracking on BOD and Construction Document Phases.
o Lead effort to resolve design conflicts in construction and commissioning phase with appropriate A/E SMEs
• Works with Design firm to cultivate innovative and effective design methods.
• Leads the final close-out with the A/E firm including executing Lessons Learned process.
What we’re about:
We are passionate about our work, and play vital roles across a range of professional disciplines, and care deeply about our customers and communities. At Johnson & Johnson our culture enables dynamic and impactful careers. We share a kind of DNA where we’re each
• Committed to caring
• Responsible to our communities
• Ready to apply our knowledge and know-how
• Unique in our background and experiences
• The drivers of our own success
• Passionate about doing what’s right
Make a unique mark in your career:
This is an opportunity to work with a Johnson & Johnson company, in an FDA Regulated Environment, as a senior leader in an extremely large expansion project, one of the biggest in Johnson & Johnson history with a biologics company with a strong record in employee continuous professional development and business continuous improvement.
You will work in the department of Engineering and Platform Solutions initially and after 2 /3 years the position will become of a member the regional project management or engineering and design team with worldwide engineering and technical operations
You will reports to: WWETO Project Leader for the initial 2 to 3 years and the WWETO E&D EMEA Regional Director there after
You will be Located in Cork (2 to 3 years located in Cork Ireland, up to 50% travel thereafter)
Relocation support will be offered for the preferred candidate.
BE VITAL - What you’re great at:
You will have a minimum qualification of a Level 8 bachelor’s degree in engineering with eighteen years’ experience or a MS/MBA/Ph.D. with fifteen years’ experience.
You will be responsible for leading capital project engineering and design activities in alignment with J&J business objectives and WWETO (worldwide engineering technical operations- Johnson & Johnson’s corporate engineering group) Project Delivery Practices. This includes defining, identifying and securing appropriate tools, internal and external technical resources and coordinating the efforts of technical team members and third-party design firms or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. Functions within the Worldwide Engineering and Design group work on completing business focused goals and objectives, and continued personal and team talent development to enable execution of regional engineering and design activities in alignment with the Global and Regional Engineering and Design function. Participates in (cross) departmental initiatives outside Engineering & Design function.
Excellent project management skills are required and the ability to manage multi-geographic teams.
Solid engineering and technical background is a distinct advantage with experience in managing internal and external engineering teams and translating business objectives into engineering solutions
Experience working in highly matrixed organization with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Business and operations experience preferred.
Janssen Biologics (Ireland) (8167)