City and County of Denver Social Enrichment - Recreation Instructor (Part Time - On Call) in Colorado
**Do you love working with youth and/or enriching your community?
Are you looking for part-time work on evenings and/or weekends?**
The City and County of Denver - Parks and Recreation Department is seeking Social Enrichment - *Recreation Instructors (Part Time - On Call) *for the 2016 - 2017 season (August through May).
What is Social Enrichment within the City and County of Denver?
*Social Enrichment *provides programming and activities for a diverse group of youth (ages 5 - 16), adults, families, and communities out of recreation centers located throughout the City and County of Denver. Programming includes, but is not limited to: Out-of-School Day Camps, Holiday Celebrations, Community Events, Parents' Night Out and more! These programs and activities take place in recreation centers and parks throughout the City and County of Denver. With the exception of day camps, most programming operates on weekends, evenings and some holidays.
Will you be a great addition to the Social Enrichment Team?
The Social Enrichment team is devoted to actively engaging Denver's community through the facilitation of programming that promotes learning, health, and community involvement in a fun and safe environment. Social Enrichment Instructors will support and facilitate Social Enrichment programming. These Instructors are devoted to enriching the community around them and are passionate about interacting positively with a diverse group of individuals.
The current hiring rate for this position is $13.91 hourly. Only Part Timeopportunities are available. Applicants should be willing to work holidays, weekends and evenings. Individual hours will vary between* 10 to 30 hours per week*. We offer programming in all of our Recreation Centers throughout the city, so you may have the opportunity to work in more than one location (not required).
Interested? At the City and County of Denver you have the opportunity to work for a progressive public sector organization while building the community around you. Please review the qualifications and click the 'Apply' button at the top of the posting and/or visit: www.denvergov.org/jobs. Please make sure to complete the application in full.
Please Note: You will no longer receive communications via e-mail or regular mail regarding your application status. Please check your status throughout your application process by clicking HERE.
Please note that once you've applied, there's no need to reapply to the same job post.
- Teach or instruct a variety of activities which may include; sports, active games, arts and crafts, dance, drama, fitness, music and various recreational, educational, or cultural enrichment events.
- Facilitates events (such as, but not limited to: Halloween haunted house event, etc.)
- Provide and maintain a safe and supportive learning environment for all participants.
- Sets up and takes down necessary equipment prior to and after programs and activities.
- Facilitates programming and activities by following prescribed teaching methods and plans.
- Supervises participants and performs behavior management when necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED certificate
- *AND *a minimum of 6 hours of college coursework in a recreation field, information technology, elementary or secondary education, psychology, sociology, or related field.
- One (1) year of experience as a teacher, tutor, counselor, or coach in an organized recreation program, education setting or related field.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirement.
- Additional appropriate experience may be substituted for the minimum education requirement except for the high school diploma/GED Certificate.
- By position, a valid Colorado Driver's License may be required.
- Applicants should have, or be able to obtain, CPR/First Aid Certification, within 6 months of hire.
Licensure and certification must be kept current as a condition of continued employment. Preferred Qualifications:
Experience in instructing and/or facilitating the various types of Social Enrichment programs and activities.
- Prior experience facilitating special events.
- Some experience working with youth with disabilities.
- Experience in behavior management and supervision of youth, ages 5 - 16
- Experience in facilitating programming for and/or instructing youth, ages 5 - 16
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification.
- Bilingual skills. Additional Information
The City and County of Denver values leadership that influences the commitment, ability and willingness of employees to provide quality service to the citizens of Denver.
Classification Title: Recreation Instructor - On Call [CA2583] Working Title: Social Enrichment - Recreation Instructor (Part Time - On Call) Pay Grade: 607-A Pay Range: $13.91 - $20.30 Hourly Agency: Parks and Recreation *To Apply: * please select the apply button at the top of this posting / visit: * *www.denvergov.org/jobs
Assessments / Testing: This position may require an online or in-person assessment. If testing is required, you will receive an email from AssessmentTeam@denvergov.org with further information about the testing process after the position has closed. Please add AssessmentTeam@denvergov.org to your safe sender list and check you spam or junk mail for this email. For a list of positions that require testing and more information about our testing process, click here. Pre-employment Screening: An offer of employment is contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by law and City and County of Denver policies, including the successful completion of a background check. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and other verifications required for the position which may include, but are not limited to, employment and/or education verification, motor vehicle record check, drug test, and/or physical. The existence of a conviction does not automatically disqualify an individual from employment except where federal or state law or regulations prohibit employment of an individual with certain convictions. For more information about the selection and employment screening process, click here. Probationary Period: This position may require the selected candidate to complete at least a six month probationary period prior to attaining career status with the City & County of Denver. For more information about the probationary period, click here. The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
Relocation assistance is not available.
Salary: $13.91 - $20.30 Hourly
Job Type: On Call Regular
Job Number: CA2583-16 14559
Location: Various locations throughout the City & County of Denver, CO
Department: Parks and Recreation (DPR)
Closing: 11/2/2016 11:59 PM Mountain