City and County of Denver Director of Real Estate Projects- Denver International Airport in Colorado
Denver International Airport (DEN) is currently seeking a seasoned Director of Real Estate Projectsto become a key member of the on-airport commercial real estate team at Denver International Airport. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in creating and initiating the long term mixed use and transit oriented design (TOD) projects from inception through completion.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Real Estate, this is a unique opportunity to leverage your expertise in land and vertical development to impact the economic growth of developable land on DEN property. In this role you will be a vital member of a program that is responsible for planning and initiating commercial mixed-use development on 9,000 acres of airport land, including TOD opportunities at three East Line rail stations located on DEN land along Pena Boulevard between I-70 and DEN.
This position will participate from the ground floor in helping to grow, coordinate and manage the internal and external team required to plan and develop all of the various components of the commercial development program at DEN, including a range of international marketing tactics, infrastructure and commercial development projects and development partnerships. This position will be integral in helping to establish and manage the strong regional working relationships with Adams County, Aurora, Commerce City and all of the surrounding jurisdictions.
BACKGROUND ON DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (DEN)
Development of on-airport commercial real estate is increasingly used by airports around the world as a means to use their property assets and connectivity to generate non-airline revenues and stimulate regional economic development. Generating non-airline revenues from land enables an airport to offset airport operating costs. This is critical to an airport's ability to attract new carriers to the airport as well as remain competitive in an increasingly challenging global market.
On-airport commercial development will also stimulate economic activity along the "Corridor of Opportunity" that extends from DEN to Downtown Denver alongside the FastTrack's East Line, which connects DEN to Denver Union Station.
Denver International Airport (DEN) is the 19th-busiest airport in the world and the sixth-busiest airport in the United States, serving more than 54 million passengers each year. DEN is one of the busiest airline hubs in the world's largest aviation market, and the airport is the primary economic engine for the state of Colorado, generating more than $26 billion for the region annually. Spanning more than 53 square miles, DEN is the largest and newest commercial airport in the United States. DEN consists of 15 million square feet of built environment. The airport also includes the Westin Denver International Airport, an on-site hotel and conference center located just steps from the iconic Jeppesen Terminal. The base of the hotel features a rail station that connects the airport with Denver Union Station via the University of Colorado A Line commuter rail service. DEN has the capacity to double in size and is well positioned for future growth as a global gateway to the Rocky Mountain Region and a key link for products and people throughout the world.
At DEN, the core values of the organization are transparency, collaboration, mutual respect and support, diversity, integrity, trust and organizational excellence. The successful candidate must demonstrate that these are the core operating principles upon which they have based their career. Join the team at DEN and be part of the future for the world's most exciting and forward-thinking airport. Learn more about DEN at www.flydenver.com.
- Assist the Senior Vice President of Real Estate in managing and coordinating all aspects of commercial development, including various aspects pertaining to the related land surrounding DEN.
- Assist with the management of multiple projects, including the coordination and management of a large group of consultants, development partners, jurisdictional partners, internal project managers and DEN technical experts.
- Oversee the development and management of all related budgets, proformas, schedules, work plans, cost estimates, projections, and contracts.
- Assist in the formulation of a realistic, market based implementation schedule and implementation strategy, including international marketing plan.
- Work with the CEO, the DEN leadership team and the City's team to provide strategic advice to the Mayor regarding commercial development projects and opportunities.
- Work with various City, regional, state and federal agencies including the FAA, RTD, DRCOG, CDOT, local organizations, community groups and the public to ensure inclusion in the planning process.
- Coach, mentor, develop, and challenge staff.
- Other duties as assigned. Qualifications
*The ideal candidate will possess a Master's Degree and 10 years of project experience in mixed-use or transit oriented design real estate development, including at least five years of project management level experience in land development and commercial development. This experience should include project financing and, ideally, both public and private development experience and/ or experience with public/private projects. *
- Minimum of five years of management-level experience in either mixed-use or TOD development.
At least three years of this experience must include budget and fiscal oversight responsibility, evaluation of business processes, policy and decision making experience with planning and organizing of multiple programs, projects, operations or functions.
Proven leadership skills leading managing professional and technical level staff within the context of managing multiple, complex development projects, including all entitlement related tasks. Education:
Bachelor's degree in Real Estate, Engineering, Architecture, Planning, Finance or closely related field. Education/Experience Equivalency:
- Two years of the appropriate type and level of experience will serve as an equivalency to one year of education. Additional Information
Please note the following:
- FBI Criminal Background Check required: an FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony conviction and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance / be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.
- Shift Work / Snow Duties / Emergency Incidents: this position does require shift work as DIA is a 24/7/365 operation (includes nights, weekends and holidays). Mandatory overtime may be required. Additionally, this position may require mandatory snow duties which vary and can include nights, weekends and holidays.
Agency: Denver International Airport Classification: Aviation Program Manager
Assessments / Testing: This position may require an online or in-person assessment. If testing is required, you will receive an email from AssessmentTeam@denvergov.org with further information about the testing process after the position has closed. Please add AssessmentTeam@denvergov.org to your safe sender list and check you spam or junk mail for this email. For a list of positions that require testing and more information about our testing process, click here. Pre-employment Screening: An offer of employment is contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by law and City and County of Denver policies, including the successful completion of a background check. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and other verifications required for the position which may include, but are not limited to, employment and/or education verification, motor vehicle record check, drug test, and/or physical. The existence of a conviction does not automatically disqualify an individual from employment except where federal or state law or regulations prohibit employment of an individual with certain convictions. For more information about the selection and employment screening process, click here. Probationary Period: This position may require the selected candidate to complete at least a six month probationary period prior to attaining career status with the City & County of Denver. For more information about the probationary period, click here.
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
DEN website: *www.flydenver.com *City & County of Denver website: www.denvergov.org Living in Denver - Metro Denver website: www.metrodenver.org/living-here *Living in Denver - Chamber of Commerce website: *www.denverchamber.org/Page/livework
Salary: $100,363.00 - $160,581.00 Annually
Job Type: Unlimited Regular
Job Number: 38610 15022
Location: 80249, CO
Department: Aviation (DIA)
Closing: 10/27/2016 11:59 PM Mountain