Philips Interaction Design Consultant in Cambridge, Massachusetts
You will be a supporting designer working on innovation projects, with responsibility for implementation of design thinking and ensuring the quality of design deliverables. You add value to the Philips brand through the creation of great user experiences.
At Philips Design we believe that good design is about creating solutions that satisfy people's needs, empower them and make them happier, all of this without destroying the world in which we live. The Philips global creative force of some 500 professionals is located in our Design studios in Europe, North America and Asia.
At Philips we focus on the people in healthcare – patients and care providers. Through combining human insights and clinical expertise, we aim to improve patient outcomes while lowering the burden on the healthcare system. Philips delivers advanced solutions for both health professionals and empowered patients for affordable healthcare whether in hospital or at home.
As an Interaction Designer you are responsible for development of product-service ideas in the healthcare Design Innovation program from basic service and product concepts through to detailed design solutions. You work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to stimulate the creative process with new ideas and input (e.g. visualizations and simulations). You contribute to the outcome by advising the project team on how best to solve the user’s problem (both for professionals and patients). You are responsible for guiding the creation of prototypes and for the assessment of these prototypes.
Analytical & conceptual skills:
You use appropriate and effective analytical and conceptual skills to increase domain knowledge and to create meaningful and innovative solutions.
• Analyze required information to form a relevant understanding of context (domain, business, market, emerging contexts, related trends, target groups, etc.) and define and articulate relevant insights.
• Create and manage surprising and relevant scenarios/ themes/ concepts that explore potential or articulate a proposition, based on contextual understanding.
Visual design skills:
You use appropriate and effective visual design skills to articulate simplicity across products and through interaction & interface, supporting business needs, and increasing user satisfaction.
• Develop and use appropriate visualization skills (sketch, prototype and specify) to define and communicate interaction concepts.
• Create effective and appropriate visual languages by understanding the meaning and effect of these on the brand, audience, market and culture.
Functional design skills:
You use appropriate and effective functional design skills to articulate simplicity through function, interaction and development - supporting business needs and increasing user satisfaction.
• Apply and define (general) interface and interaction principles. Define and develop general usability principles.
• Understand and challenge technology, constraints, development tools and methods (e.g. WPF, , HTML5, Processing, D3). You are aware of the latest technology trends.
• Create information architectures, application flows (flowcharts) and functional designs for application screens (wireframes).
Communicating & influencing skills:
You use appropriate and effective communicating & influencing skills to build relationships with teams and key decision makers and achieve the best solutions.
• Communicate ideas clearly and persuasively at an individual and group level. Direct team members and developers and choose the right communication style or influencing tools.
• Build relationships and appropriately influence relevant internal teams and direct business contacts. Develop stakeholder relationships and build networks to achieve short- and long-term goals.
• You have a Master degree in interaction design
• You have 2-5 years' relevant experience in interaction design
• You are recognized for your expertise and talent in interaction design and for your specific competency knowledge and capability
• Furthermore, you have a good understanding of development processes
• You may have won award(s) or hold IP
• You have a strong aesthetic and visual sensitivity
• You are passionate about healthcare products