HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Charge Nurse (RN) Pediatrics in Brownsville TX, Texas
_Valley Regional Medical Center __–__ __Brownsville, TX_ __ _Charge Nurse (RN) – Pediatrics_ Founded as Valley Community Hospital in 1975, Valley Regional Medical Center proudly serves Brownsville and the surrounding communities. Valley Regional is committed to providing the best health care for the residents in the Rio Grande Valley.
Valley Regional Medical Center is a 214 Licensed Bed Facility with over 200 physicians representing over 25 specialties; Valley Regional Medical Center is a leader in a vast array of high quality inpatient and outpatient programs and services, including: * 24 Hour Level III Trauma Emergency Department * Cardiology * Open Heart Surgery * Neurosurgery * Endoscopy * Imaging * Women’s Services * Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit * Wound Care Center Valley Regional is currently looking for a Charge Nurse (RN) – Pediatrics.
- The Charge Nurse performs direct patient care within the scope of the Registered Nurse Practice Act.
- Utilizes therapeutic communication in daily practice.
- Maintains a safe a therapeutic environment.
- Identifies nursing problems as they relate to the individual needs of the patient.
- Plans individualized patient care utilizing an interdisciplinary approach.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Provides care and coordinates participation that fosters the goals of the hospital’s mission and vision statement.
- Charge Nurses are responsible for day-to-day activities to ensure the delivery of quality patient care in a therapeutic environment.
- Make staff assignments based on patient need and the skill of the staff.
- Serve as role models and clinical resource for the staff.
- Respond in a timely manner to requests for information or follow-up with physician, staff or patient issues.
- Effective assessment and response to age-appropriate physical.
- Effective assessment and response to age-appropriate psychosocial needs.
- Effectively coordinates patient care (receives and gives timely shift report, patient care documentation, determines age appropriate level of care, formulates and updates care plan in MEDITECH, updates MD with change of status, Schedules and coordinates diagnostic tests & procedures, receives and transcribes physician’s orders, participates in rounds/multidisciplinary conferences).
- Performs/assists with patient care procedures (maintains airway and tracheostomy care; initiates and participates in code blues; administers oxygen; inserts/maintains and discontinues I.V. lines; prepares patient for surgery/procedure; performs wound care,; monitors/maintains tubes/drains; administers tube feedings; inserts/maintains and/or discontinues gastro-intestinal tubes; inserts/maintains urinary catheters; and assists MD with lumbar puncture).
- Administers medications and fluids keeping in mind the five rights and patient safety at all times.
- Supervises and provides bedside care (responds promptly to patient ‘s call light, initiates and maintains seizure precautions. obtains height and weight measurements, collects specimens, assists with personal hygiene, performs dressing changes, and collects specimens).
- Teach patient and family (explains disease process and outcomes; provides learning materials; teaches purpose, side effects and interactions of medications; evaluates and documents level of comprehension; teaches physical and psychological coping skills; provides pre/post op teaching; and initiates and reinforces teaching plan).
- Manages human/material resources (delegate and supervises assistive personnel, assesses/updates acuity levels, reports defective equipment products).
- Maintains work environment (conducts unit safety checks, initiates and maintains isolation, checks crash cart, and verifies narcotic counts).
- Maintains professional accountability (develops costumer service skills, maintains nursing licensure/certifications, develops and refines communication skills).
- Actively participates in solving problems on the unit to improve process issues as well as patient flow.
- Supports departmental and hospital performance improvement initiatives.
- Makes staff assignments bases on patient acuity and staff skill levels.
- Serves as a resource for staff.
- Responds timely to requests for information or follow up with physicians, staff or patient issues.
Assists as needed with department audit processes.
Graduate of an AccreditedSchoolof Nursing required
- BSN preferred
- Current TX RN licensure (or eligible for NCLEX) required
- BCLS required
- PALS required
Title: Charge Nurse (RN) Pediatrics
Location: Texas-Brownsville TX-Valley Regional Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00187-4552