National Park Service Student Trainee (Administrative Support Assistant OA) GS-399-5 in Brecksville, Ohio
National Park Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Brecksville, OH
Work Schedule is Full Time - Internships
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (5 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (1 day(s) away)
Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. Become a part of our mission to unite our past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations. For more information about the National Park Service, click Cuyahoga Valley National Park
WHO MAY APPLY:
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on at least a half-time basis and in good standing.
- Enrollment must be with an accredited educational institution or state-approved home school. These may include high schools, colleges, universities, technical, trade, vocational, or business schools, and state approved home school secondary and post-secondary programs.
- Qualifying certificate programs are post-high school programs equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college- level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- Educational institutions must be accredited by organizations recognized by theU.S. Department of Education. To verify accreditation, please visit: http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
- Your educational program or career goals must be related to the duties of this position, e.g. horticulture, arborist, landscape architecture, etc.
For more information on the Pathways Intern Program,visit: http://www.opm.gov/HiringReform/Pathways/program/interns
The anticipated start date for this position is: December 11, 2016. This is a year round full-time position.
For more information on the duties of the position, please contact Mary Pat Doorley, Chief of Business Management Group, at 440-546-5910.
Major Duties:This position is located at Cuyahoga Valley National Park and is supervised by the Chief of the Business Management Group. The incumbent serves as an Administrative Support Assistant to the Division Chiefs and Business Management Group. This support will include a wide range of clerical duties such as making phone calls, mail organization and distribution, filing, creating spreadsheets, preparing correspondence, tracking information, assistant to the HSPD-12 Enrollment Center manager, data input into a variety of programs, and welcome visitors to the park's headquarters.
Area Information: Located in Northeastern, Ohio Cuyahoga Valley National Park is situated along 22 miles of the Cuyahoga River Valley in a suburban setting between the cities of Akron and Cleveland. The park is predominately natural forest and meadow with some areas of agriculture and excellent outdoor recreation opportunities. Winters are moderately cold with average temperatures in the 20 to 30 degree ranges. Heavy snowfall is not unusual. Summers are moderately warm, average temperatures in the high 70's and 80's with occasional warm spells in the 90's. Rural, suburban, and urban communities are all within a reasonable commuting distance. Excellent K-12 schools, numerous colleges, universities, hospitals, and cultural attractions are available in the area. Cuyahoga Valley National Park's Web Site: http://www.nps.gov/cuva
- Not Required
- YOU MUST SUBMIT PROOF OF YOUR STUDENT ENROLLMENT STATUS
- Appointment subject to favorable adjudication of background investigation
- 1 year probationary period for new federal employees
- Valid state drivers license.
- Must be U.S. citizen and be at least 16 years of age
- Required to wear an NPS uniform
To be eligible for this position, you must possess the following specialized experience and/or education. Experience may have been gained in the public or private sector and may have been paid or unpaid. *ALL QUALIFICATIONS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. *To qualify for this position, you must possess the specialized experience and/or education as described below and in the occupational questionnaire.
Experience: *One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 level in the federal service. For this position specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skill, and abilities needed to successfully perform the duties of an Administrative Support Assistant. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include: answered telephone calls and greeted visitors providing general information and directing visitors to appropriate personnel for specific information; received and distributed incoming mail, prepared outgoing mail for delivery and received packages; maintained a central filing system. Coordinated an organization's budget and finance functions; served as a travel coordinator; used computers and software for data collection, reports, spreadsheets and other tabular material. Experience may have been gained in the private or public sector and may have been paid or unpaid, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, Americorps) and other organizations (e.g. professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. *OR
Education:completed 4 years of progressively higher-level education leading to a Bachelor's Degree in an accredited business or technical school, college or university above high school in any field for which high school graduation or equivalent is a prerequisite.
A Combination of Education and Experience:an equivalent combination of education and experience.* NOTE:*Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours of a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirements. One full academic year of study, or 30 semester hours, beyond the second year, is equivalent to six months of specialized experience. Six months of the specialized experience described above (50% of the experience requirement) and 3 years of college study from an accredited institution (50% of the qualifying education).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- You will be required to sign a Pathways Participant Agreement verifying that you understand and agree to abide by the conditions of the internship.
- You must continue to meet the Pathways Program requirements throughout the duration of your appointment. To verify that you do, we will require proof of your continued enrollment and good standing each semester or grading period throughout your internship. Failure to do so will result in termination of your internship and employment with us.
- Males born after 12-31-1959 must be registered with the Selective Service unless otherwise exempted. Please see http://www.sss.gov/ for additional information.
- Prior to beginning work, you will be required to have a favorably adjudicated background investigation.
- You will be required to wear the NPS uniform.
- Incidental vehicle operator: You may be required to operate a government (or private) vehicle as part of your official duties. You will be required to provide a copy of your valid state driver's license prior to your first use of a government vehicle.
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Based upon the determination of your eligibility for this position and upon the category in which you are placed, your application may be referred to the hiring official. If your application is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly by that office for a possible interview. Interviews are not a required part of our hiring process, so we encourage you to communicate your knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies for this position in your resume and supplemental documents.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. The following link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits. Additional information may be found on the Office of Personnel Management website at http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/ and http://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/
Travel and relocation expenses to move for this job will not be reimbursed.
You will receive a uniform allowance to offset the cost of buying NPS uniform items.
Work may include evenings, weekends, and holidays and is anticipated to be full-time year round. Work schedule may be negotiable with supervisor during school sessions.
Government housing is notavailable for rent.
This announcement may be used to fill additional similar vacancies if necessary within 120 days after the closing date of this announcement. Conversion: This appointment is anticipated to continue until the student's education program requirements have been completed, at which time the individual may, at agency's discretion, be converted to a term or permanent appointment. Although there is no guarantee for conversion, we anticipate that this position will be converted to a term/permanent position. Upon completion of your internship and conversion to a term/permanent position, if you meet all agency requirements, you may be converted to the full performance level of GS-05 without further competition.
Salary Range: $33,595.00 to $43,673.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0399-05/05
Promotion Potential: 05
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Student/Internship Program Eligibles
Control Number: 453339700
Job Announcement Number: MWE-17-PA-CUVA-001