Mercy Health Associate Emergency Care Emergency Mercy St. Elizabeth Boardman in Boardman, Ohio
Associate Emergency Care Emergency Mercy St. Elizabeth Boardman
Job ID: 4640607
Updated: October 18, 2016
Geographic Location: Youngstown
Location: Boardman, OH, United States
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 36
The mission of Humility of Mary Health Partners is to extend the healing ministry of Jesus by improving the health of our communities with emphasis on people who are poor and under-served.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a member of the emergency care team, the emergency care associate assists with patient care in the EC under the supervision of a registered nurse. Maintains supplies and does routine equipment checks; performs diagnostic tests and/or collects specimens for testing; performs clerical functions as necessary for provision of care. He/she performs other duties and assignments as requested.
The emergency care associate performs a variety of basic age specific duties to assist in the care of patients under the direction of a RN.
Qualifications - Minimum
High School Diploma/GED.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification.
Successful completion of job analysis physical demand assessment program prior to assuming position.
BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED)
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Follows detailed written and oral instructions.
Completes specific, routine tasks.
Requires basic reading, writing, or simple arithmetic skills.
May operate basic equipment/machinery.
Problem Solving/Decision Making:
Work is routine.
Makes decisions based on detailed procedures; technical aids generally available.
Has clear-cut alternatives available and usually follows a specified course of action.
Scope of Impact/Accountability:
Impact is generally focused on immediate work area. May also affect closely related activities in other work units or teams on a temporary basis.
Influence is indirect and supportive in nature.
Accountability is restricted.
Activities are usually assigned by others.
Interactions are generally brief and informal.
Requires common courtesy.
PRINCIPAL JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Performs general patient care including, but not limited to: bathing, mouth care, changing linens, dressing patient, elimination, hygiene, and other needs as expressed.
2. Observes patient’s responses and reports any adverse reaction or other pertinent information to Registered Nurse and Physician.
3. Obtains and records vital signs, height, and weight. Lifts, ambulates, and transports patient seeking assistance as needed.
4. Retrieves lab and x-ray results, places reports on chart and identifies abnormal as indicated to physician/nurse.
6. Anticipates patient’s needs and responds in a timely manner to patient and other caregiver requests.
7. Provides friendly assistance to patient’s family members and visitors.
8. Performs venipuncture for blood collection.
9. Collects specimens (i.e., urine, sputum) and ensures timely transport of specimens to the lab.
10. Performs designated bedside lab tests.
11. Administers oxygen therapy and performs basic and intermediate airway management. Applies nasal cannulas and masks. Utilizes adjuncts such as an airway bag during cardio-pulmonary resuscitation in the department under the direction of the physician or nurse.
12. Performs electrocardiogram (ECG).
13. Performs wound care as directed by the RN.
14. Performs urinary catheterizations and enemas. Whenever possible, a male ECA will perform these procedures for a male patients and a female ECA will perform these procedures for female patients.
15. Observes universal precautions and aseptic techniques.
16. Performs computer order/entry functions as required by the department.
17. Transcribes and implements physician orders.
18. Accurately charts patient information following the guidelines for charting by standards.
19. Responds to calls from EMS providers utilizing the hospital – ambulance radio. Relays patient information to physicians and responds back to prehospital providers according to physician direction and/or department guidelines.
20. Answers phones courteously, and quickly addresses the caller’s needs.
21. Initiates emergency procedures when necessary.
22. Assist with simple Gyn exams as assigned.
23. Applies splints, ace wraps, and other orthopedic equipment as ordered, prepares and dispenses crutches.
24. Secures various trays and prepares them for use while maintaining sterile technique.
25. Places and receives calls to attending physicians and others.
26. Assist with the application of restraints and supportive devices.
27. Places patients on monitors.
Job Accountabilities: Other
1. Performs other duties as assigned.
2. Acts as liaison and support person for family members.
3. Assists with patient education and discharge planning under supervision of RN.
4. Inventories unit and determines supply needs; orders supplies and receives and distributes orders.
5. Assists in daily cleaning of patient rooms and the department. Helps prepare room(s) for incoming patients.
6. Assesses maintenance needs.
a. Initiates maintenance requisition to repair equipment, furniture, and building fixtures.
b. Performs simple maintenance (light bulbs, batteries).
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Hours per pay period: 72
Hours: 7:00pm to 7:00am
(2)-12 hour shifts and 1-(8) hour shifts on nights. Hours between 7:00pm to 7:00am.
Shift and Job Schedule
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy to abide by all Federal and State laws, as well as, the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a), prohibiting discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibiting discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.