Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Secretary (OA) in Birmingham, Alabama
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Birmingham, AL
Work Schedule is Full-Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (5 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 10/25/2016 (3 day(s) away)
About the Agency
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is composed of a highly motivated and diverse team dedicated to the agency's mission - to eradicate employment discrimination. Come join us and make a difference!
You will serve as a personal assistant to the District Director, performing a variety of administrative and clerical support functions auxiallary to the work of the office.
As the Secretary for the District Director you will perform the following duties:
- Prepare a variety of correspondence and reports for signature of the Director or designee.
- Maintain a record log, distributes and controls incoming and outgoing correspondence to ensure a prompt reply.
- Assist the Director in responding to daily press calls.
- Establish and maintain a filing system for confidential materials, various documents and other information which involve highly sensitive or controversial issues.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative within basic areas of responsibility.
- Maintain Director's calendar, schedules appointments and conferences. Serves as Director's Records Liaison, responsible for the maintenance, establishment, and disposition of records in accordance with established procedures.
- Make necessary travel arrangements for Director and staff, arranging schedule of visits, making necessary reservations, notifying organizations and officials to be visited. Serves as payroll timekeeper.
- Not Required
- Must be a US Citizen
- Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)
- Typing Proficiency
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
In order to be considered qualified at the GS-8 grade level, you must demonstrate, in your resume and responses to questions, at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 level directly related to the line of work of this position and which has equipped you with the knowledge and experience to successfully perform the duties of the position.
You will be rated based on the following Core Competencies:
- Knowledge of and ability to coordinate and manage the administrative/clerical work of an office.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge and experience using MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint and other software.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to organize data and records. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translate directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualification Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on OPM's website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted.
Review our benefits
- Time in Grade requirement must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- EEOC will not pay travel, transportation and relecation expenses.
- You may be required to travel and you may be required to apply for a government travel card.
- A background investigation is required and continued employment is contingent on completion of that process to determine suitability for federal employment.
- This is a Non-Bargaining Unit position.
- Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employeeguides/careertransition.asp It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Salary Range: $44,335.00 to $57,631.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0318-8/8
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens and Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Control Number: 453550700
Job Announcement Number: FPBIR-16-10001925-088-TMD