Amtrak Manager Budgeting and Planning - 90163789 - Bear in Bear, Delaware
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
This position is responsible for conducting and monitoring the day-to-day financial activities in assigned functional area(s) of the Mechanical Department. The position develops and inputs/submits operating budgets, and capital budgets as applicable, and assists in the achievement of strategic goals and objectives by constantly monitoring progress and performing analysis of budget results. This position also supports the preparation of the financial information contained in the strategic business plan for the department. The Manager Budgets will be responsible for demonstrating Amtrak’s values and leadership philosophy while providing customers with excellent service and meeting performance targets that are driven by and aligned with the Strategic Plan goals in the following areas:
Safety and Security
Financial and Organizational Excellence
• Effectively contributes to a safe and secure work environment for employees and travel experience for customers. Demonstrates necessary leadership to support a zero incident and injury culture within the Operations organization and Amtrak. Measures include:
- Organizational Culture Diagnostic Instrument for Department
- Safety leading measures (e.g., contact rate, participation rate, coached observations rate)
- Safety lagging measures (e.g., FRA reportable injury rate, passenger injury rate, operating safety measures)
- Security metric for employees and customers
• Develops and coordinates the input of annual and multi-year operating budgets (and capital budgets as applicable) for assigned functional area.
• Supports achievement of strategic goals and objectives by monitoring and reporting progress and analyzing budget results.
• Prepares the monthly operating budget forecast and material and budget variance reports by coordinating with managers in assigned functional area.
• Analyzes costs for service expansion and schedule changes, processes vendor payments, monitors and tracks financial information & performs journal entries to correct financial errors.
• Actively supports and provides guidance to all levels of supervision to facilitate understanding of financial information to enable more effective monitoring and control of expenses.
• Prepares Capital quarterly reports for FRA and States Partnerships relating to production, financial activities and variance explanations.
• Oversees satellite payroll office responsible for 350+ agreement-covered employees.
• Oversees bulletin and assignment function of various mechanical crafts for Delaware Shops.
• Must be able to prioritize multiple responsibilities in an active environment.
• Bachelors Degree in Finance or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and training/experience.
• Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing, and managing operating and/or capital budgets.
• Demonstrated experience simultaneously managing multiple projects and/or programs using appropriate administrative tools and controls.
• Significant experience using business, operations, and financial systems (i.e., SAP, WMS, BPC, WebWee).
• Demonstrated strategic planning experience.
• Strong leadership and management skills with proven ability to motivate others; effective writing, presentation, meeting and interview facilitation skills; interpersonal communication; time management; and conflict resolution and investigation skills.
• Strong financial and analytical skills.
• Proven ability to manage the development, implementation, and monitoring of operating, capital, and/or reimbursable budgets.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Extensive experience using Amtrak’s business, operations and financial systems in capturing data related to the operations, plans and budgets of an organization.
• Significant, proven financial and analytical skills.
• Demonstrated strategic planning experience.
• Extensive experience and thorough knowledge of passenger train operations, staffing practices, infrastructure and equipment maintenance practices and configurations.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Yes
Requisition ID: 24901
Posting Location(s): Delaware
Personnel Area: DE01
Job Family/Function: Mechanical
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements: 5 - 7 years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Mechanical || Mechanical