Kern Community College District Director, Academic Support Services (COF) in Bakersfield, California
Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance coverage; long-term disability insurance, and an employee assistance program (EAP).
In addition, employees have the option to purchase:
- Flex 125
- AFLAC Policy
- Supplemental voluntary life insurance
- 403b Tax Shelter Annuity
All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date. Employees are covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) and are vested 100% after five years of full time service.
Under direction of Dean of Instruction, the Director of Academic Support Services is responsible for comprehensive academic support services programming that provide students with additional learning assistance outside of the classroom.
Examples of Duties: Provide managerial direction including developing, planning, goal setting, implementation, evaluation and accountability for comprehensive academic support services programming. 2. Supervises and coordinates academic support services such as tutoring, supplemental instruction, writing lab, student success and math labs, and other student academic learning services outside of the classroom. 3. Develop and implement processes for academic support services such as mandatory learning support for students in developmental-level and gateway courses. 4. Collaborates with student affairs to integrate and offer academic support services as part of the onboarding process for new students and continuing students. 5. Develop and implement a tracking and assessment system for student use of support services. 6. Develop and implement regular training and workshops for academic support services employees. 7. Collaborates with data management constituencies at the college such as Data Coaches and Institutional Research to provide student usage data needed for student success tracking and correlation. 8. Provides regular reports for assessment and planning purposes. 9. Develops and administers the budget for programs related to academic support services. 10.Hire, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate the work performance of assigned personnel. 11.Writes grant proposals as part of a team focused on academic success. 12.Plan and coordinate research projects related to areas of responsibility, and prepare a variety of research related reports. 13.Participate in shared governance through service on planning and/or operations committees and task forces. 14.Perform other related activities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree from an accredited college/university, preferably in higher education administration, counseling, or a community college discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years of administrative experience in instruction, academic support services or related student success programs.
- Experience working with a diverse student population.
Knowledge and Abilities
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of effective practices in academic support services.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws relating to the development of student academic support programs at the community college level.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles and techniques
- Knowledge of accounting, budgeting and fiscal reporting.
- Knowledge of due process for resolving student and employ complaints or issues.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to build and maintain collaborative internal and external relationships with broad constituencies.
- Ability to use appropriate technology for data tracking and report presenting.
- Ability to implement innovation in education support processes.
- Ability to supervise area coordinators, program managers, union staff, and student workers.
- Ability to relate to and empathize with the needs of a diverse student population.
- Ability to exercise group leadership skills, which emphasize collaboration, consensus building, conflict resolution, and problem solving.
Special Instructions to Applicants
First Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on November 7, 2016 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Recruitment Status (tentative):
- Application Screening: TBD
- Interviews: TBD
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
Job Title: Director, Academic Support Services (COF)
Position Number: 01831
Posting Date: 10/17/2016
Initial Screening Date: 11/07/2016
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Management
Work Week: $102,704.39 annual
Benefits: Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance coverage; long-term disability insurance, and an employee assistance program (EAP). In addition, employees have the option to purchase: Flex 125 AFLAC Policy Supplemental voluntary life insurance 403b Tax Shelter Annuity All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date. Employees are covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) and are vested 100% after five years of full time service.
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
Salary Grade: I