HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Medical Lab Technologist - TriStar Ashland City - (PT Days) in Ashland City, Tennessee
The Medical Laboratory Technologist (MT) is responsible for specimen processing, test performance and reporting test results. The MT examines and analyzes body fluid specimens such as blood, urine, sputum, or feces. At TCMC the type of testing performed depends on the testing department(s) assigned and the MT may work as a generalist and tests in all of the laboratory disciplines. Testing is done using both automated and manual methods. Critical thinking is used in all phases of testing.
The Medical Technologist must:
- Possess extensive knowledge of physiology and function of the normal human body, and the changes in the body from disease relevant to the testing in their assigned testing section.
- Follow the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Perform only those tests authorized by the Laboratory Director based upon having the degree of skill commensurate with the individual’s education, training, or experience and technical abilities.
- Perform various types of laboratory test(s) on patient specimens, evaluates test results according to predefined criteria, and report/enter/verify test results in Laboratory Information System.
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problem or immediately notify the coordinator, laboratory management or medical director.
- Document all corrective actions taken when the systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Handle, prepare and assay proficiency testing samples same manner as patient samples and maintain records that demonstrate this process.
- Adhere to the laboratory’s quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Follow the laboratory’s established corrective action policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable level of performance.
- Assist in training new employees/students as directed.
- Communicate laboratory test knowledge and test results in a professional and appropriate manner. Takes responsibility to keep informed of pertinent information without reminders by others.
- Present a positive, service oriented focus to all customers.
- Exhibit and adheres to ICARE Standards of Behavior in all areas of job duties and responsibilities.
- Embrace new technology and programs, participates in hospital initiatives, in achieving laboratory department goals and meetings, education and in-services.
- Actively participates in learning/continuing education programs.
- Participate in regulatory survey/assessment readiness.
- Other duties as needed/assigned.
- Current State of TN Medical Technologist License
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred) or equivalent
- Demonstrated education, training, experience and technical abilities in each of the required areas of expertise
- Interpersonal skills to successfully interact with all co-workers, staff, patients, patient families and vendors
- Good computer skills
Title: Medical Lab Technologist - TriStar Ashland City - (PT Days)
Location: Tennessee-Ashland City-Centennial Medical Center at Ashland City
Requisition ID: 02903-54772