Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Chief Occupational Health & Rehab Medicine) in Amarillo, Texas
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Amarillo, TX
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Wednesday 10/5/2016 (20 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 9/29/2017 (339 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1818557
*First consideration will be given to applications received early*
Position may be filled prior to the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for this vacancy. Applications will be reviewed every two weeks. If filled prior to the closing date, recruitment will be terminated.
Applications will be reviewed on 10/19/2016, then again on 11/02/2016, and every two weeks thereafter
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service. If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are, "our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence (I CARE).
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
- DISCOVER AMARILLO at http://www.amarillo-chamber.org
This position is located at the Amarillo VA Health Care System and serves as the Chief of Occupational Health and Rehabilitation Medicine Service (OH&RMS;).
This position independently provides clinical services to eligible veterans and employees. Services are provided within the Amarillo VA Health Care System (AVAHCS) in Amarillo, Texas. Services are rendered primarily in an outpatient setting (including an employee occupational health clinic) but may include service provision for hospitalized veterans in acute care or subacute rehab settings. The incumbent interacts with veterans, family members, community agencies, providers, and AVAHCS employees. The Chief of OH&RMS; is responsible for overall supervision and clinical operation of OH&RMS; including physical therapy and occupational therapy services. This position maintains professional, technical, and administrative knowledge, competencies, and skills pertaining to this position and will also function in a clinical role providing appropriate care for employees in an occupational health environment. The Occupational Health Physician has the ultimate responsibility for determining if an applicant/employee meets required physical/medical standards within Federal facilities and will participate in activities for all AVAHCS occupational health operations.
Applicants should possess proficient medical skills as well as an understanding of the workplace and potential health risks including risk management activities such as workplace (ergonomic) assessments, pre-employment evaluations, return-to-work determinations, management consultations, medical surveillance examinations, and other screening/testing programs. The incumbent participates in clinics that provide care to veterans including power mobility clinic, amputee clinic, and spine/back pain clinic. Other duties may include performing compensation and pension examinations and second level TBI evaluations. This employee participates in the administration of programs, committees, and other staff functions within the AVAHCS.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Callbacks, Evenings, Holidays, Nights, and/or Weekends may be Required to Meet Mission Demands
(Non-Bargaining Unit Position)
- Not Required
- Recruitment or Relocation Incentive may be authorized.
- U.S. Citizen
- English Language Proficiency Required
- Subject to a Background/Suitability Investigation
- Selectee Must Pass Pre-employment Examination
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing Required
- ### Qualifications
- U.S. Citizenship
- Education - A degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine
- Internship - A first year residency (internship), or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed
- Licensure and Registration - A full, current, and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing an active, current licensure.
Board certified or Board eligible in Occupational Medicine or Physiatry is preferred as well as education/experience in occupational disease, injury management, epidemiology, preventive medicine, industrial hygiene, and occupational health and safety.
NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Veteran Preference: When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and furnish a legible copy of your DD Form 214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more, please review the information for disabled veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed to decide if you meet the basic requirements. You will be notified when this decision is made.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.va.gov/JOBS/JobBenefits/benefits.asp.
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the selectee.
Salary Range: $130,000.00 to $260,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-15/15
Promotion Potential: 15
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452542200
Job Announcement Number: AMA-17-T38-Rh-1818557