National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Physical Science Technician, ZT-1311-4 (DE/CR) in 11 vacancies Suitland, Maryland
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- 11 vacancies - Suitland, MD
Work Schedule is Full Time / Career or Career-Conditional - Permanent
Opened Monday 8/8/2016 (77 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 11/7/2016 (14 day(s) away)
About the Agency
IMPORTANT APPLICATION DEADLINE: The first referral of candidates from this announcement will be made from applications received by 11:59 PM EST, Monday, August 22, 2016. Subsequent cut off dates may be established as requested by management.
This position is located in the National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS), Office of Satellite Product Operations (OSPO) in Suitland, Maryland.
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZT-4 is equivalent to the GS-11/12.
The full performance level of this position is ZT-4.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NSDIS-OSPO-2016-0031, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year probationary period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
NOTES: *This vacancy may be used to fill other Physical Science Technician, ZT-1311-4 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
*The incumbent must be able to work a 24/7/365 rotating crew shift schedule.
*The incumbent will fill a Mission Essential Position and designated an Emergency and Continuity of Operations (COOP) employee.
As a Physical Science Technician, you will perform the following duties:
- Direct a mission ground computer system for a satellite constellation, including monitoring real time and archived spacecraft telemetry; supporting newly launched satellites, satellites maneuvers, and other required special operations through the use of computers, computer programs and databases; and identifying and implementing specific satellite commanding data elements required to meet organizational goals, program layouts, interrelationships, sequences, and internal logic.
- Determine the most effective methods for establishing, modifying, and enhancing satellite data management; manage the flow of satellite data received from antenna ground sites to satellite ground systems; and assist in the development of procedures and recommends methods to ensure rapid retrieval of all satellite data.
- Participate in cross-training in other satellite mission areas and train new satellite controllers following approved training plans to achieve qualification and certification in a satellite mission area.
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 15% of domestic travel may be required
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply.
- Required to pass a background investigation and fingerprint check.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment.
- Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov)
- Qualifications requirements must be met by closing date of announcement.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the ZT-4 or GS-11 level:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZT-3 or GS-10 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Performing the duties of a satellite controller supporting spacecraft operations which provide critical global environmental data that support satellite products, environmental information and official assessments of the environment in support of societal and economic decisions.
- Directing real-time operations, making critical decisions during spacecraft anomalies, monitoring real-time telemetry, and ensuring critical satellite data is collected from data acquisition stations.
- Supporting programs involved with (1) Ecosystems, (2) Climate, (3) Weather & Water, and (4) Commerce & Transportation.
Applicants must meet ALL application requirements, to include a complete online resume, by 11:59 p.m. EASTERN TIME (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
What To Expect Next
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://www.usajobs.gov and clicking on “Track Your Online Application.” The four points of notification are:
- Application Received or Application Incomplete
- Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Minimum Qualification Not Met;
- Eligible (Application Referred to the Selecting Official) or Eligible (Application Not Referred to the Selecting Official); and
- Selected or Not Selected.
Review our benefits
ICTAP candidates will be eligible if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of Silver (Well Qualified). Information about ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management’s Career Transition Resources website at: Employee Guide to Career Transition
ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice; notice of proposed removal for failure to relocate; notice of disability annuity termination; certification from your former agency that it cannot place you after your recovery from a compensable injury; or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for disability retirement;
- A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action” documenting your RIF separation, noting your positions, grade level, and duty location, and/or Agency certification of inability to place you through RPL, etc;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential. NOAA participates in e-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.
Salary Range: $64,650.00 to $100,736.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: ZT-1311-4/4
Promotion Potential: 4
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: All qualified United States Citizens or Nationals.
Control Number: 446890800
Job Announcement Number: NSDIS-OSPO-2016-0032